Official color code thread (need pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a bastard vehicle. It has 75-up front turn lamps and 74-prior hood, windshield frame and doors.
It's not, the front turn lamps changed in 02/74 in the rest of the world. Only the US kept the old style until 01/75.
Actually no BJ ever got the old style turn signals, they directly started with the new style.

078152081520-600900102.1974 - 01.1975LAMP ASSY, FRONT TURN SIGNAL, LHFJ4#
AMBER-CLEAR,EUR.OR ARL.SPEC.
0.00 USD
(SUBS)81520-6902501

Didn't look at all the pages but I put this together a year or so ago. It's not every color but if it helps...
Cruiser Colors.jpg

soo... other than it's questionable lineage (thanks @flx for some info from the rest of the world)... any thoughts on the color? It is NOT Mustard Yellow, but I think it's either Sunny Yellow or Lemon Yellow. Neither available in 75 in the US, but hoping it was on BJ40s elsewhere.

Okay... I'm getting closer I feel like. paintref.com shows a 1975 Toyota Yellow 522, along with two other "yellows" 528 and 531 (mustard, I believe). I think mine is the 522 yellow... Willing to get a can made up but not sure where to get it as sometimes, "522" shows up as Mustard.

1598898605288.png

Also know as K-529.. which shows up as "Sunny Yellow" in previous years. First page from 64-67 (stolen from FJ25 section)

1598907957426.png

more from the effing new guy and his oddly yellow colored 40. Took it by a paint store that provides a lot of automotive paint 'round these parts. They ran a spectrometer on the fuel filler door and said what's on mine now is "very, very close to K-522" I still think the original color is K-529, but until I can repaint the entire thing, I'm going to have them match what's on it, which is almost 522. Also known as "Yelllow".

Going to try it in a half-pint with a couple rattle cans to start..

the saga continues. The yellow of my truck is some bastard yellow green that is not a Toyota color. Paint shop couldn't match it, which is a blessing because I've decided to take it back to an original yellow. Couple of spots where I've found the original yellow. It's not 531 or 522, so he's mixing up some 528 to see if that's it.

wish me luck

Based on your OP, my Money is on Sunny Yellow.

Do you have a photo of an original painted area? Engine bay? Inside of glove box?

Here it is behind the fuel door. It was a fools' errand trying to find a Toyota yellow to match the current color. (Sorry everybody) Sunny Yellow has that little hint of green that is close if I wanted to stay that route.

But the original yellow is the color I'm after now.

20210627_151740.jpg

Here it is behind the fuel door. It was a fools' errand trying to find a Toyota yellow to match the current color. (Sorry everybody) Sunny Yellow has that little hint of green that is close if I wanted to stay that route.

But the original yellow is the color I'm after now.

You may have already considered this, but it's important to remember that the color will have changed over time. It's going to look different in both the color chip and on the car. In most cases, it will have faded, but it can also lose pigment of one kind or another, changing the overall look of it.

Not sure if you've already done this, but you might want to wipe some New Finish on the areas you believe to be original, in different places.

I would expect that maybe the inside of the glove box might have some left, and it's probably more shielded from UV than the gas door. Also, you might check inside the door itself. You can remove the door card or whatever you have (my 71 has a metal door with a hatch panel) and look for overspray.

That being said, the picture you posted of the fuel door still looks somewhat green to me and I would still guess that it's Sunny Yellow. Of course, the best policy is to paint it the color that makes you happy. If it was me, and I was forced to choose one of those yellows, I would probably pick that Sulfur Yellow, but that's because I like tan/khaki FJ40s and it looks more khaki than it does yellow.

@softdrinkviking - thanks for the thoughtful response. Underneath the fuel tank has some yellow (see below). Although why there was some red primer sprayed on top of the base coat is a mystery. Came off pretty easy with some CLR. Inside the glove box was sprayed with the new yellow. And yeah, for sure it's probably changed a bit over the past 46 years and with no trim tag denoting the color, it's not that important that I get it perfect. But I do like the yellows that are out there, including Sunny Yellow. I wouldn't think inside the fuel door would get that much UV exposure, but looking inside the door is good idea, too.

Regarding what makes me happy, my two favorite colors are spring green and capri blue, but those weren't available in 75. A Yellow of some sort is probably next, so I'm going to go with that. Which yellow will be determined soon. Of course, with all the work that's still left to do, it'll be a year or two before it's all done.

I do like how the original yellow is not too "bright" if that makes any sense.

Underneath fuel tank.jpg

@softdrinkviking - inside the door was a great tip. I ended up taking the whole dang door over to the paint store, but hey, it's a 40.. no big deal. The color inside the door was different from what was on the back on the fuel door, so I'm glad I did that.

I suggested K-529 aka Sunny Yellow, but the paint store guy says he can't find the code for that. His system doesn't go back to 67.

Does anybody have the dupont or PPG number for Sumny Yellow?

20210628_204849.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps someone else can give you a better suggestion, but you might have better luck with a paint business that specializes in restoration. I have never used them, and I can in no way vouch for their service, but I have seen mention of TCP Global. Many other Mudders have used them for paint matching codes and have been reportedly satisfied with the results. Sunny Yellow comes up for them on their website, you might have to buy a whole can to see if you like it. Not sure they will share the codes with you but you could try to call them.

Searched till I can't search no more but does anyone have a Ppg mix for Pollux orange. Doesn't come up in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom