Official bad bolts thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys,have at it. What's the single worst fastener to deal with on the 80?

I apologise for my lack of example and sorry if this is already a thing.

Mine were the O2 sensors - took me forever to get off due to limited access, rounding over the nuts etc. Took me about a week trying many different methods and finally got the mangled things off.

@NLXTACY just drives fast enough to shear off his lug nutz. :doh:

My vote goes to any, and all nuts, and bolts on a truck that's spent more then a few winters living in a rust belt state.

Being in Maine I can echo this for sure. I can certainly say that removing body mounts at the rad. Support is a major pita when rust sets in.

Sway bar bracket bolts. Having a rust belt truck, even in good shape, they snapped like plastic. Then broke the extractor off in the pilot hole. Took forever to drill that bastard out and now I have a wobbly hole I'm not sure what to do with.

Sway bar bracket bolts. Having a rust belt truck, even in good shape, they snapped like plastic. Then broke the extractor off in the pilot hole. Took forever to drill that bastard out and now I have a wobbly hole I'm not sure what to do with.
Happened to me last week. Had to take it to a shop to weld a handful of boltheads on to finally extract them from the frame. . .then the driver's side came out easily 🤦🏽‍♂️

My vote goes to any, and all nuts, and bolts on a truck that's spent more then a few winters living in a rust belt state.

x2 for this. I'm still dealing with odds and sods with externally exposed bolts (esp smaller m6 and m8 ones) that break off and require special attention to remove after my 80 was a beach vehicle in previous ownership.

the upper radiator bolts - you know, the ones that you can only access from the front through the grill

Flywheel plate bolts, had to weld out 3.

Hahaha :doh: You knew what I meant.

Ok guys,have at it. What's the single worst fastener to deal with on the 80?

Alternator tensioner lock bolt. The lower, 12mm bolt. Pretty sure it comes rounded from the factory...you need to loosen it when you change your belts.

Last edited:
The inner mounting bolt on the fuel filter (FZJ80) is pretty special too...my PO evidently said "f#@k it" and just left it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom