TLCA Official 2021 Rubithon Thread (32nd or 33rd Annual - TBD) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REMINDER
May31st is the cutoff for T-Shirt ordering for Registrations. Any registration after that date will not have their shirts in Camp, and will need to pay for shipping to receive them.

May 19: A $25 late fee will be added to registrations after May 19th.
May 31: Registrations received after May 31st will have their t-shirts and hoodies mailed to them after the event.
June 14: Registration closes June 14th

And again, the Saturday DINNER HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
There will be a raffle ticket refund ($15 raffle ticket value per meal) for dinners that were included with the Registration.
For the paid dinners, you will have an option of a "bonus" raffle ticket exchange ($5 + cost of each dinner) or a cash refund of what you paid for the extra dinners. (example - you bought 2 extra dinners for $30, your option is $40 in raffle tickets or $30 cash).

Thanks Again!

Ross Woody
Rubithon Chairman

Question for everyone. I have read that cell service is sketchy on the trail. Can anyone comment on the signal with ATT Wireless on the trail and at Icehouse? Back in the day I could care less about connection to the outside world. Now that I am a responsible adult I need to be in touch with my office when I can.

Thoughts appreciated.

There is indeed one spot near Walker hill that sort of works with ATT on the first day through the trail. If you absolutely need to be in contact then you need to either get really good at ham radio and learn how to use the repeaters to connect with people or invest in a sat phone.

If there is a signal to boost I do have Weeboost antenna on board my rig. For the same reason. The Weeboost has proven a very useful tool for our lifestyle.

Question for everyone. I have read that cell service is sketchy on the trail. Can anyone comment on the signal with ATT Wireless on the trail and at Icehouse? Back in the day I could care less about connection to the outside world. Now that I am a responsible adult I need to be in touch with my office when I can.

Thoughts appreciated.
I’ll make sure you have a few to stop on the way in. We should hopefully be passing this spot 11-1 ish Thursday pending the group. But like the others said. You’ll get zero cell coverage after that point.

C0CCB96E-F20C-437E-985B-FBDEE24DC0FD.jpeg

I’ll make sure you have a few to stop on the way in. We should hopefully be passing this spot 11-1 ish Thursday pending the group. But like the others said. You’ll get zero cell coverage after that point.

View attachment 2683389
Thanks for the imput!

There is indeed one spot near Walker hill that sort of works with ATT on the first day through the trail. If you absolutely need to be in contact then you need to either get really good at ham radio and learn how to use the repeaters to connect with people or invest in a sat phone.
Thanks yes, I'm holding to see what we have going on with work. Hoping to get lucky and be good with disconnection for 4 days.

I used to do a sat phone but it was costly & spotty
Cell service locations are few & far between, I recomend a 2 meter HAM or an INREACH uses Sat signal,
batttery lasts 3 days constant on, has GPS, SOS, and text all for 14.00 a month and u can send a text and it will continously repeat until it goes then it beeps to let you know, has other features I havent played with, office can text you and unit works normal text and you can preload messages so you only type it once then save. Minne has never not worked, The SOS once pushed will send you a confirmation and if you confirm the heli is coming, it sends your GPS location to emergency services

Cell service locations are few & far between, I recomend a 2 meter HAM or an INREACH uses Sat signal,
batttery lasts 3 days constant on, has GPS, SOS, and text all for 14.00 a month and u can send a text and it will continously repeat until it goes then it beeps to let you know, has other features I havent played with, office can text you and unit works normal text and you can preload messages so you only type it once then save. Minne has never not worked, The SOS once pushed will send you a confirmation and if you confirm the heli is coming, it sends your GPS location to emergency services
Thanks for the imput. I was just looking to reply to a few emails each morning and call my office manager.

If there is a signal to boost I do have Weeboost antenna on board my rig. For the same reason. The Weeboost has proven a very useful tool for our lifestyle.
Ive thought about that but I am in the midwest and its rare to be that remote. Add into that I’m i a single cab pickup....

I have the Ham but not the liscense yet. I’ll just be listening in.

So I'm curious. How many are driving there trail rig, instead of hauling it in a trailer?.. I planned to drive my fj, but my jeep buddies ( who always trailer there jeep) are convincing me to not drive it.. that I'm loco if i dont trailer it... blah blah blah.. now I'm second guessing myself. Lol I've always drove to trail..like Dishpan, John Bull, Holcomb etc and I've been fine, but now I'm thinking of maybe i should trailer my fj for this one

Last edited:
So I'm curious. How many are driving there trail rig, instead of hauling it in a trailer?.. I planned to drive my fj, but my jeep buddies ( who always trailer there jeep) are convincing me to not drive it.. that I'm loco if i dont trailer it... blah blah blah.. now I'm second guessing myself. Lol
If I had more time I’d drive my truck. 2200 miles at 55 mph max would eat up more time than I have. Do what you feel is best.

I've never trailered and always drive up and drive home.

Don't drive like a maniac, listen to your spotter and you'll have a great time.

I drive to the trail. If for some reason I’m unable to drive home, AAA will just barely get me back me back to my driveway.

I am running an InReach with great success. two way text comunication through the Earthmate app is like normal texting. You can also set up your texts to automaticlly send Lat/Log. Another significant additional plus is with minimum contrat you get full dowloadable access to all garmin maps. This allows for tracking you in real time location and if set up others can see where you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom