OEM Sub Tank or Aux Fuel Tank setups - For FAQ (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found out the subtank from dead empty holds 14.5 gallons.

No, it doesn't.

When the neck is switched to fill the sub it does not completely block-off the main neck. Some fuel will divert into the main while you fill the sub. "Pumpable" sub capacity is ~13 US gallons.

If you were to pump it til the shut-off activates and then crawl under it and pull the drain plug you would get ~3 quarts out of the bottom.

Andy,

Congrats, I'm going to do the subtank install this springs, right now I'm collecting bits and pieces. What kind of fuel transfer pump did you use, OEM? I maybe giving you a phone call when I'm ready to do mine.

Feel free to call me, but realize there are REAL experts on this board.

The transfer pump is a good question because fuel pumps are fairly expensive. Mudrak turned me on to this one available anywhere for only $50. It even comes with a clip to attach it to the body.

NAPA Part # P74019 Hecho in USA!

Incidentally, this pump can also be run as a back up to your mechanical pump on a 2F motor, since the pressure output is only 5 psi. I'm going to get another and carry it in my FJ40.

Here is a pic of the pump installed in the factory spot with the clip that comes with it, and a pic of how well the tank tucks into the frame of the truck-I reinstalled the spare tire carrier to act as a skid plate and to keep the tank in place if the riv nuts shake out.
Sub tank pump 001.jpg
Sub tank pump 002.jpg

Originally posted by Cruiserdrew

Thanks, I'll pm them too if I have questions. Fuel pump installation is clean, very nice:beer:. Do you also have the overhead fuel gauge with altimeter?

Nice how you put the spare tire bracket in there for protection. I have the Slee reciever brackets and so wasn't able to do that. It's tucked up there so nice I am not worried about damage.

Nice how you put the spare tire bracket in there for protection. I have the Slee reciever brackets and so wasn't able to do that. It's tucked up there so nice I am not worried about damage.

I like how just in case the rivnut fails you wont have the tank dragging on the road. Great idea Andy.

I like how just in case the rivnut fails you wont have the tank dragging on the road. Great idea Andy.

I also thought it was a good idea to put the spare tire bracket back in there for protection. And for support in case of a rivnut failure on the trail. I had Luke do it when his shop installed my 4X4labs rear bumper. You have to shorten the bracket about 1/4 inch on each side to make room for the rear bumper. It was real easy at Luke's shop!

dsc00675-209_525.jpg

Toyota Landcruiser dual neck fuel filler and subtank switch. Brand new OEM parts to convert and FJ80 or FZJ80 into a dual fuel tank system. $750
From the CL ad, seems expensive for these parts I think.

From the CL ad, seems expensive for these parts I think.

Maybe a bit expensive, until you realize how hard they are to get, and that these parts are brand new. Not a used set up from Oz. I don't think that subtank switch is available any longer in the USA. Plus, if you look at the filler, it has the parallel outputs-that one is more desirable and more rare.

I am not affiliated in any way, as I said. But these are unusual and critical pieces for a subtank, available now and here. Not too bad. Plus it's Craigs list, so if he's asking $750, he'll take a lot less. If I had a need, I'd offer $400.

SAWEEEET!

Still in the reading-planing stage for a dual tank install on a friends 80. Anyone know off the top of their head what size rivnut was best? Found an 8 and 10 MM in stock at a local fastener company.

Thanks to the 80 board for some very proper tech. Looking forward to the install.

Still in the reading-planing stage for a dual tank install on a friends 80. Anyone know off the top of their head what size rivnut was best? Found an 8 and 10 MM in stock at a local fastener company.

Thanks to the 80 board for some very proper tech. Looking forward to the install.

This thread has a good account of my install of the rivnuts, etc. and a way to avoid the pain of the front ones. See post #126 onwards.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/213266-oem-subtank-retrofit-install-project-pics-7.html

:cheers:

Steve

Hi Romer it's a great job collecting all this data in one thread, thanks mate!

Wanted to read Boston Mangler's 44 Gallon write-up, but the link isn't working. Do you have another link?

Cheers

Thanks Mike !

Read the article very useful. Just wondering why he chose to transfer from the aux to main tank and didn't feed the pump directly from the aux tank like the stock set up.
I already have the stock aux tank, but I want to fabricate the 44 gallons due to the diesel crisis we're suffering from here in Egypt these days. I would really appreciate the dimensions and some pictures for fabricated or longranger to compare with my measurements and drawing.

I know this is old but since I've just got the factory Aux. tank I was hoping for some help with this. Apparently I've got a diesel tank with only two wires. It's missing the shut off wire (See post on page 1). If I were to use The napa fuel pump and George's ECU is there anyway I could retrofit my sending unit? I guess I could just run it without the shut off and I would therefore just have to shut it off after I felt that all the fuel was transferred over. Am I missing something?

I guess another option is to just buy a fuel pump wiring relay (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-890023/overview/) and then hook up the factory switch to it.

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into this over the years too.

The transfer pump is a good question because fuel pumps are fairly expensive. Mudrak turned me on to this one available anywhere for only $50. It even comes with a clip to attach it to the body.

NAPA Part # P74019 Hecho in USA!

Incidentally, this pump can also be run as a back up to your mechanical pump on a 2F motor, since the pressure output is only 5 psi. I'm going to get another and carry it in my FJ40.

Here is a pic of the pump installed in the factory spot with the clip that comes with it, and a pic of how well the tank tucks into the frame of the truck-I reinstalled the spare tire carrier to act as a skid plate and to keep the tank in place if the riv nuts shake out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom