OEM Pesky heater hose part # (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the advantage of the workaround? Don't you still have to get the hose/clamp on the barb at back of the head? I ordered Wits' End PHH kit with Breeze clamps, but maybe I should just delete the hardline and run Gates Green Stripe?

You only have to work One clamp at PHH, not two...a bit easier to change IMHO...and your dealing with just one hose from PHH to heater control valve...

What's the advantage of the workaround? Don't you still have to get the hose/clamp on the barb at back of the head? I ordered Wits' End PHH kit with Breeze clamps, but maybe I should just delete the hardline and run Gates Green Stripe?

The advantages have been stated in numerous other threads ad nauseam. The functionality of being able to change it in the future in 20 minutes is appreciable. Eliminating connection points increases reliability.

Phil is right, the factory design can last a long time. Where I would disagree is that it’s not a certainty you’re going to get 20 years out of it. The term PHH was already well established when I joined the cruiser scene in ‘03. That makes it a <10 PM item.
Maintaining my other 80’s I kept the OEM design. On 80 #3 I decided to give the alternate approach a try.

One note, if doing the work around/bypass it’s not necessary to loop it around the driver side of the brake booster.

Hard line has no issues Im aware of but installing a factory pin clamp on the hose would be magic

Whole assembly keeps the factory look:D and will last another 20+ years = no worries

LCPhil, just to be clear, is that the part # for the hardline pipe, pesky heater hose, and one clamp? I googled that part number and hit an old IH8MUD post back 11/18/2015, and it is $33 for the whole. Does installing this make it easier than replacing just the hose and 2 clamps?

Also looking at the diagrams (google image), the number 87209D includes those parts.

Thanks for clearing this up for me (newb).

Last edited:
LCPhil, just to be clear, is that the part # for both the hardline pipe, pesky heater hose, and one clamp? I googled that part number and hit an old IH8MUD post back 11/18/2015, and it is $33 for the whole. Does installing this make it easier than replacing just the hose and 2 clamps?

Also looking at the diagrams (google image), the number 87209D includes those parts.

Comes as pictured

Does not make installation easier. But to be honest I have only replace one and it was when a HG PM was taking place. :D

LCPhil, just to be clear, is that the part # for the hardline pipe, pesky heater hose, and one clamp? I googled that part number and hit an old IH8MUD post back 11/18/2015, and it is $33 for the whole. Does installing this make it easier than replacing just the hose and 2 clamps?

I was gonna be a purist. The thing lasted 23 years, still had the original PITA clamps on it (oriented wrong, of course), so why on earth would I want to run a 4-foot-plus bypass? Then I had that freaking hose stub on the block, then on the tube--but could not get it on both at the same time, even after removing the upper tube bolt to add wiggle room. I'm guessing I bent the tube as well. Anyway...

Methinks changing out that metal tube (assuming it's even possible) will make things murderously MORE difficult. And even if it doesn't, the next time your PHH has a blowout (which is statistically unlikely to happen in your driveway)--you wind up in the same pickle. So...

Bypass!

I was gonna be a purist. The thing lasted 23 years, still had the original PITA clamps on it (oriented wrong, of course), so why on earth would I want to run a 4-foot-plus bypass? Then I had that freaking hose stub on the block, then on the tube--but could not get it on both at the same time, even after removing the upper tube bolt to add wiggle room. I'm guessing I bent the tube as well. Anyway...

Methinks changing out that metal tube (assuming it's even possible) will make things murderously MORE difficult. And even if it doesn't, the next time your PHH has a blowout (which is statistically unlikely to happen in your driveway)--you wind up in the same pickle. So...

Bypass!

well that's a convincing argument... Iay do the bypass

well that's a convincing argument... Iay do the bypass
If original clamps still on, use a cotter pin hook to rotate into plier reach, or Dremel through 'em.

If original clamps still on...Dremel through 'em.

That’s my plan! I’ll probably loosen the hardline and replace with Wits’ End Green Stripe/Breeze Clamps. I don’t think I’ll do the bypass, but I do have extra Green Stripe in case I get in there and change my mind. I’m deleting EGR anyway, so no more hot EGR pipe next door to the coolant line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom