OEM Manual Antenna fit on FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

After scouring the Internet for an OEM power antenna to put on my ‘89 FJ62, and seeing they’re basically unobtanium, I turned my attention to the OEM manual antenna originally installed on the FJ60.

I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if it will fit in my fender without any modifications (I don’t want to ream the hole or modify it in any way). Just wondering what trouble I’d be getting myself into. I currently have a flexible stub antenna that works but I’m trying to restore things like this back to stock if/where possible.

Since Toyota discontinued the 8630090A25 power antenna assembly, I wasn’t sure if I could ever get one. As an alternate possibility to my restoration, if any of you have/know of a working power antenna and are willing to part with it, I’d be interested in buying it from you. Main question is about the manual antenna install though! Included is a close-up picture of my current antenna mount.

DA95615C-0D89-4580-80E3-3E81657599C8.jpeg

Thanks for your help!

Can't answer your question, but would you kindly let me know where you got the 60 manual antennae? I need one for my 60. Thanks so much

I saw your post on BAT today. Will you be selling yours there? Now that they are commanding $30-40K!

Last edited:
I didn't buy a manual antenna yet, because I wanted to find out here first if it will fit on my fender. I believe you can still get them through your Toyota dealer, as well as the usual LC parts distributors like SOR, Partsouq, etc.

I was following that BaT auction out of curiosity for sure, since it is similar in stock to mine. It was amazing how much that one sold for! Probably helping to increase the value of other stock 60 series, I imagine. I bought my 62 on BaT a few months ago, so I am not interested in selling it.

The 62 power antenna mounts perfectly on the 60. I had one. Hard to imagine the opposite wouldn't be true. The motorized antenna is bigger down below than the mechanical. There's a lot of room inside the fender.

I didn't buy a manual antenna yet, because I wanted to find out here first if it will fit on my fender. I believe you can still get them through your Toyota dealer, as well as the usual LC parts distributors like SOR, Partsouq, etc.

I was following that BaT auction out of curiosity for sure, since it is similar in stock to mine. It was amazing how much that one sold for! Probably helping to increase the value of other stock 60 series, I imagine. I bought my 62 on BaT a few months ago, so I am not interested in selling it.
Yeah I saw when yours was in Mexico for the paintjob. I have the pics of your truck from that shop.

I recently installed one. No modification required and all the parts you need are included.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw when yours was in Mexico for the paintjob. I have the pics of your truck from that shop.
Wow no kidding? That’s pretty cool, if you still have the pics I’d like to see them if you’re interested. I’ll send you a PM.

OSS and NearJetties, thanks for the replies! That doesn’t sound bad at all. I think I will pursue that route.

I recently installed one. No modification required and all the parts you need are included.

Hey @NearJetties ! I have an update: I bought the manual antenna from toyotapartsdeal and the antenna itself installed quite nicely. The supplied bracket lined up perfectly with a hole inside the fender sheet metal behind the windshield washer tank. I just have two questions that I'm hoping you might be able to answer. Where am I supposed to fasten the grounding eyelet terminal? I assumed it was supposed to be grounded to the screw they provide that secures the bracket to the sheet metal hole, but I don't actually know if that provides a good ground.

The second and more important question, is how on earth did you get your hand in behind your factory head unit to unplug the old antenna wire? I tried accessing it first by reaching up in there, couldn't quite make it. Then I tried uninstalling the instrument cluster face plate (huge faceplate that covers the cluster and all the way over to the radio) but because of the restraining speedo cable and huge wiring harnesses, i couldn't pull it out farther than 2" to be able to remove the head unit, so i put it all back. Next I removed the glove box, but that too was a dead end as I couldn't actually get my arm in far enough to get to the antenna jack in back of the head unit. Am I missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey @NearJetties ! I have an update: I bought the manual antenna from toyotapartsdeal and the antenna itself installed quite nicely. The supplied bracket lined up perfectly with a hole inside the fender sheet metal behind the windshield washer tank. I just have two questions that I'm hoping you might be able to answer. Where am I supposed to fasten the grounding eyelet terminal? I assumed it was supposed to be grounded to the screw they provide that secures the bracket to the sheet metal hole, but I don't actually know if that provides a good ground.

The second and more important question, is how on earth did you get your hand in behind your factory head unit to unplug the old antenna wire? I tried accessing it first by reaching up in there, couldn't quite make it. Then I tried uninstalling the instrument cluster face plate (huge faceplate that covers the cluster and all the way over to the radio) but because of the restraining speedo cable and huge wiring harnesses, i couldn't pull it out farther than 2" to be able to remove the head unit, so i put it all back. Next I removed the glove box, but that too was a dead end as I couldn't actually get my arm in far enough to get to the antenna jack in back of the head unit. Am I missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

the speedo cable should just pull off—you may need to squeeze the connector a bit and it does take some force.

I didn’t have to fully pull it to get my headunit out because it’s a single DIN. You might need to if it’s double din. Once the speedo cable is removed you should be able to rotate the dash up or down enough to get it out as the wires have decent slack.

Cruisercorps does have a motorized antenna for ~$120. Harada made one that has been available intermittently on Ebay. The key descriptor is 'semi-automatic'.

the speedo cable should just pull off—you may need to squeeze the connector a bit and it does take some force.

I didn’t have to fully pull it to get my headunit out because it’s a single DIN. You might need to if it’s double din. Once the speedo cable is removed you should be able to rotate the dash up or down enough to get it out as the wires have decent slack.
Thanks! I’ll try that. Yep I have the massive double-DIN head unit. Did you attach your ground wire to the supplied bracket screw like I did or did you ground it elsewhere? I added a pic of the antenna mounting area, with ground terminal circled in red. Thanks again for your help!
A6D8454F-C793-4D4C-84AE-7307CEB3724A.jpeg

Thanks! I’ll try that. Yep I have the massive double-DIN head unit. Did you attach your ground wire to the supplied bracket screw like I did or did you ground it elsewhere? I added a pic of the antenna mounting area, with ground terminal circled in red. Thanks again for your help!
View attachment 2524717

yup, forgot to mention that. Other body grounds from the factory are like that with paint so you’ll be fine.

Any tips on getting the cable to the head unit? Do I have to remove any heating parts, blower motor, etc? I see the cable coming through the firewall but can’t really get to it. I have the head unit removed so not a problem getting there. TIA

Jeff

Where did you end up routing the cable through the engine bay? Previous owner removed the antenna so I don’t know how it makes it through the firewall

Where did you end up routing the cable through the engine bay? Previous owner removed the antenna so I don’t know how it makes it through the firewall
Passenger side has a thick cable harness going through firewall behind the washer jug. Just poke a hole in the rubber grommet and run it through. It comes in to the cabin just above floor mat in foot well. It is quite easy to get a hand there and get a grip of the antenna cable.

You can see the rubber grommet below wiper motor. Cable harness with red cover goes through it.
IMG_20210601_183253.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom