OEM Driveshaft come balanced?

• Thread starter maineidyl
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
maineidyl

maineidyl

Would a new replacement OEM driveshaft (37110 60520) come balanced from the factory?
Tom

maineidyl

maineidyl

Picking up Thursday. Is it greased?

jonheld

jonheld

Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
Picking up Thursday. Is it greased?
It will have the assembly grease that Toyota uses in the bearing caps, nothing else.
Grease the joints before installation. I like to separate the halves and manually grease the slip yoke splines, then remove the grease nipple for the slip yoke, assemble the shaft and compress the yoke until all the excess grease squirts out. Then reinstall the nipple.

LINUS

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
It will have the assembly grease that Toyota uses in the bearing caps, nothing else.
Grease the joints before installation. I like to separate the halves and manually grease the slip yoke splines, then remove the grease nipple for the slip yoke, assemble the shaft and compress the yoke until all the excess grease squirts out. Then reinstall the nipple.
Your way > what I been doing.

Great tip, thanks!

nothovi

nothovi

I've been trying to avoid the ol "throw money at it" mentality for my driveline noise but the cost to pick up a new shaft compared to replacing one or two of the joints seems strange. I'm sort of on the side of if I need to replace one or two of the u-joints then why not spend another $100 to replace the hole shaft and save me the headache of trying to swap the u-joints out.

But I appreciate the thread because I was wondering the same myself.

LINUS

LINUS

I've been trying to avoid the ol "throw money at it" mentality for my driveline noise but the cost to pick up a new shaft compared to replacing one or two of the joints seems strange. I'm sort of on the side of if I need to replace one or two of the u-joints then why not spend another $100 to replace the hole shaft and save me the headache of trying to swap the u-joints out.

But I appreciate the thread because I was wondering the same myself.

If you have a shop / space for a press, DIY aside from slop in splines (or your time is worth more than the labor/hr) - I really only trust my work.

That, or if I went to Torfab but they book out aways & I’m a cheap whore w/ a press ;)

nothovi

nothovi

If you have a shop / space for a press, DIY aside from slop in splines (or your time is worth more than the labor/hr) - I really only trust my work.

That, or if I went to Torfab but they book out aways & I’m a cheap whore w/ a press ;)
Cheap whore here, but w/o a press and not too interested in making space for one since I don't see many projects on the horizon where I'd need one.

#NorthernMidwestProblems where I don't have access to any folks that work on Cruisers. I've taken it to the 4x4 shop that works mostly on jeeps and was decently satisfied but I do wish I had a place like Torfab.

JunkCrzr89

JunkCrzr89

Competent Ignoramoose
SILVER Star
Cheap whore here, but w/o a press and not too interested in making space for one since I don't see many projects on the horizon where I'd need one.

#NorthernMidwestProblems where I don't have access to any folks that work on Cruisers. I've taken it to the 4x4 shop that works mostly on jeeps and was decently satisfied but I do wish I had a place like Torfab.
FWIW, I’ve never used or seen the need to use a press to replace u-joints. Appropriately sized sockets, hammer, and vise are sufficient.

M

manofthewoods

I did all of mine with only a vise, socket, and a hammer. Not difficult.

LINUS

LINUS

I did all of mine with only a vise, socket, and a hammer. Not difficult.
I just have a press both in home shop & air-power’d one at work.

I have it easy, no bringing a rock to a bazooka fight ;)

MUDZLLA

MUDZLLA

Just mark yoke and spline so they go back the same orientation,.

MUDZLLA

MUDZLLA

I never mark anything. You have to try hard to screw this stuff up.
I suppose if they're new they're balanced separately anyway, however speed variations are minimized if u-joints are phased properly and grease nipple service is made easier if they line up properly.

jonheld

jonheld

Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
I suppose if they're new they're balanced separately anyway, however speed variations are minimized if u-joints are phased properly and grease nipple service is made easier if they line up properly.
Correct. The rear drive shaft is in phase. There's only 1 spot where that happens. All you need is 1 good eyeball.

K

Kernal

I picked up this tool years ago at a crazy discounted price off retail. It works, but as others have said a couple of sockets, your time, and a bit more elbow grease gets the job done.

When using a cordless impact wrench with the tool it makes for a very easy job.

FWIW