OEM Charcoal Canister Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well with the cruiser torn apart and waiting on several parts to finish up various projects. I decided to start one more project and follow up on a post from when I first bought the cruiser. Although not horribly bad I can tell the charcoal canister is clogged and intermittently causing to much pressure to build up in the tank. The most chosen option is a variation of a General Motors canister from your favorite neighborhood auto parts store. However I wanted an OEM replacement due to smog issues here in California and the fact that I'm not fond of zip tying Pontiac parts to my cruiser (Yes, Pontiac Aztecs are the s***). @hoser Suggested that possibly a FZJ100/FZJ105 canister could work since the original is NLA. I ended up finding a FZJ105 (1FZ in a 100 series body) canister in Dubai for $154.25 on Ebay. The part number is 77704-60290, there is also a similar canister available 77740-60400 which is for a UZJ100.

The canisters are of similar size, the new canister is slightly shorter due to the flat bottom. It is also a little bit wider and has more girth.
The retro fit will require 3 modifications:
1. I will need slightly longer bolts than OEM for the additional girth.
2. I will need to shave off the laminated on plastic 100 series mount, to use both factory mounting loops.
3. I will need to extend the bottom breather, as the new canister does not have a factory extension on it.

*I am also using new clamps as the purge nipple diameter is smaller than the original hose.

1587427124384.png

1587427214250.png

1587427273393.png

Well with the cruiser torn apart and waiting on several parts to finish up various projects. I decided to start one more project and follow up on a post from when I first bought the cruiser. Although not horribly bad I can tell the charcoal canister is clogged and intermittently causing to much pressure to build up in the tank. The most chosen option is a variation of a General Motors canister from your favorite neighborhood auto parts store. However I wanted an OEM replacement due to smog issues here in California and the fact that I'm not fond of zip tying Pontiac parts to my cruiser (Yes, Pontiac Aztecs are the s***). @hoser Suggested that possibly a FZJ100/FZJ105 canister could work since the original is NLA. I ended up finding a FZJ105 (1FZ in a 100 series body) canister in Dubai for $154.25 on Ebay. The part number is 77704-60290, there is also a similar canister available 77740-60400 which is for a UZJ100.

The canisters are of similar size, the new canister is slightly shorter due to the flat bottom. It is also a little bit wider and has more girth.
The retro fit will require 3 modifications:
1. I will need slightly longer bolts than OEM for the additional girth.
2. I will need to shave off the laminated on plastic 100 series mount, to use both factory mounting loops.
3. I will need to extend the bottom breather, as the new canister does not have a factory extension on it.

*I am also using new clamps as the purge nipple diameter is smaller than the original hose.

View attachment 2279970
View attachment 2279971
View attachment 2279972
I chuckle at your post because those are the SAME mods that have to be done to the VC120 with the exception of having to trim exterior plastic mounts from it. I mean, yeah, you have a Toyota part.......

I try to do Toyota, but I won't go to quite that extreme......

I chuckle at your post because those are the SAME mods that have to be done to the VC120 with the exception of having to trim exterior plastic mounts from it. I mean, yeah, you have a Toyota part.......

I try to do Toyota, but I won't go to quite that extreme......

Yes, technically. The main point is that it looks factory and is Toyota. Meaning I can still get the truck to pass CA smog without submitting special letters or jumping though hoops if the tech notices something isn't oem with the fuel system.

It's another option--always good to know there are other options, but I went with a VC120 like most everyone else. Actually bolted it, instead of zip ties. Cost $50 +tax and saving up for a roof rack :p

If the tech notices the difference between a VC120 and an OEM Toyota charcoal can, I'll be impressed!

Well after some over night parts from Japan. We are all hooked up and running like a champ.

After grinding off the top half of plastic mount on the canister I was able to bolt it into the mount.

The last issue was hoses. The top nipples are of a differed diameter than the 80 series, so I ordered OEM FZJ105 parts.
Hose 1 -7775460200, Hose 2 -7724960130, Inlet clamps -9613551100 (2 needed).
The last order of business was bottom breather house. The FZJ105 is a plastic molded unit (7774760011) is to long to use.
Since the canister has to be cocked to the left slightly I used some flex gates line I got at the local auto part store.

If you have any questions you can DM me. I figure I'm the only one who would bother with all of this so I kept it short.
1589592921145.png

1589592978546.png

1589593085662.png

Last edited:
GOTLOCKED96, just as an FYI, for about 15 bucks in fish tank charcoal, and about an hour or so of you're time it's possible to rebuild you're old factory canister. Below you'll find a thread that'll walk you through the steps that other Mud members have used to rebuild their factory Charcoal canister, that is if you want to try rebuilding you're old one.

Last edited:
Stayed OEM with this cannister too thanks to this thread info.
20201127_164213.jpg

Yes, technically. The main point is that it looks factory and is Toyota. Meaning I can still get the truck to pass CA smog without submitting special letters or jumping though hoops if the tech notices something isn't oem with the fuel system.
BTW...had one of the fleet in for smog here in Commifornia and got to talking with them about the truck and cannister. Told them that OEM was discontinued. They said that so long as 'like kin' was used then it'd pass CA smog.

GOTLOCKED96, just as an FYI, for about 15 bucks in fish tank charcoal, and about an hour or so of you're time it's possible to rebuild you're old factory canister. Below you'll find a thread that'll walk you through the steps that other Mud members have used to rebuild their factory Charcoal canister, that is if you want to try rebuilding you're old one.

Reminds me I need to do this. Picked up a spare from a parts truck to rebuild last summer.

Reminds me I need to do this. Picked up a spare from a parts truck to rebuild last summer.
Now that I have my original out, I may do the same at some point. Have to wonder what's the long term longevity of the JB Weld that was used.

Now that I have my original out, I may do the same at some point. Have to wonder what's the long term longevity of the JB Weld that was used.
The only problem with using J B weld, is getting the canister apart again. Once you grind, or machine the roll seam lip off of the canister, the top is kind of a press fit into the body, so I'm not even sure you need to J B weld it in place for it to hold.

The nice thing about having the top removable. When the time comes to replace the charcoal inside the canister it'll be a whole lot easier to change if the top isn't glued in place. In my case when i did this job i just made a home made clamp to hold the cap in place, but I'm sure a big hose clamp would work too.
1606634676954.png

Well after some over night parts from Japan. We are all hooked up and running like a champ.

After grinding off the top half of plastic mount on the canister I was able to bolt it into the mount.

The last issue was hoses. The top nipples are of a differed diameter than the 80 series, so I ordered OEM FZJ105 parts.
Hose 1 -7775460200, Hose 2 -7724960130, Inlet clamps -9613551100 (2 needed).
The last order of business was bottom breather house. The FZJ105 is a plastic molded unit (7774760011) is to long to use.
Since the canister has to be cocked to the left slightly I used some flex gates line I got at the local auto part store.

If you have any questions you can DM me. I figure I'm the only one who would bother with all of this so I kept it short.
View attachment 2307679
View attachment 2307682
View attachment 2307684
Awesome write up, thanks!

I landed a 105 canister and look forward to installing.

Will do, I expect it to arrive in a few weeks.

Always something but I love my 80. This week I'm replacing the AC compressor clutch the bearing went out.

Unobtanium has arrived

PXL_20220929_193856730.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom