Odometer fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone repaired an odometer that has quite working? I'm facing that now. I haven't pulled out the non-functioning cluster yet but I have a spare that I've disassembled. The roll of numbers is held in place by a small rod and it appears that the rod end on the left in the photo cam be popped out to remove the odometer. Is this the correct way to pull out the odometer or not?

IMG_8013.jpg

I’ve never tried to fix an odometer. Usually the small driver gear looses a tooth. You might be better off just trying to advance your spare odometer to match the mileage.

someone repaired the odometer in a 40 series cluster, took it all apart. cleaned the old hardened grease out and lubed, it was working good afterwards

Long time ago we pulled mine out and a friend ( massive amount of experience ) tried to fix it.
It had been skipping. We we not successful, but managed to find a replacement. It too started to
stick, but as claimed above, I just blew it out, cleaned it up and used really high quality super light
grease and it’s worked fine since. Also had to spray lube the speedo cable. But since you didn’t
mention that I presume the speedometer is still functioning properly.
I’d place the two side by side and compare, looking for anomalies.

Regular odometer is all that quit functioning.

The odometer and trip odometer can be replaced but you have to essentially disassemble the entire speedometer but that's difficult. There are multiple small screws that need to be organized as you disassemble, some have machine threads, others coarse thread that screws into the plastic, different lengths and diameters.

The plastic cover, speedo needle, and gauge face must come off. The push button for the trip odometer unscrews. The speedo needle is on a splined shaft and pulls off.

The trip odometer can be replaced as a unit. The odometer that registers cumulative miles is removed with the numbered wheels on a skewer of sorts, plus there are small tabs to prevent reordering the numbers. I found that the 1/10s wheel had a stripped gear and that's what stopped my odometer from recording. The rod that supports the odometer sits in that plastic housing. Once the trip odometer housing and speedo drive have been removed you can slightly squeeze the plastic housing and align the narrow portion of the rod with the notch and lift out the odometer cluster.

I now have functioning odometers but the speedometer doesn't work, I did not reset the needle properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom