Odometer Disassembly Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, been following the odometer fix threads but I ran into a problem I can't find on any of those- when I got all the way down to the final odometer wheel assembly, there are two brass locks on either side that I don't see in others. I did have the C-clip and took that off to get the main gear off, but now I can't figure out how to get these wheels off to clean them and don't want to break anything. It appears what is different on mine is that right side brass part- it has a clip below it, but the brass part won't budge. Thanks in advance-

IMG_6291.jpg

Last edited:
Since no response yet I will try to help. It’s been 3+ years and I do not remember exactly, but I did get mine all disassembled.

On mine, the 1/10 wheel was breaking in several places and I was able to completely remove it and install a ‘new’ one from another odometer. My notes don’t really tell me anything but I did have a picture with a small flat head screwdriver pointing to that brass lock.

I don’t remember having any issues...so I suggest you just try to pry it off while being as easy as you can, maybe pull gently with a pair of very small but good quality pliers.

HTH.

Last edited:
I looked through my notes in this thread but didn't see anything about removing the brass spacer next to the 1/10 wheel. My guess is that it is just stuck with the dry grease. Try spraying with contact cleaner to break the hold of the grease while trying to rotate it maybe.

The side with the 1/10th wheel (White Wheel) is the side the stack slides off of.

The side with the 1/10th wheel (White Wheel) is the side the stack slides off of.

Yep, won't budge. Will try a little more "oomph"... but don't want to break it- so will try but then may just try to clean it on the reel as best I can.

Can you show us several close up pics of both ends? Maybe we can see something.

Hi, Try heating it a little with a hair dryer. Mike

I used some parts cleaner to help dissolve the old grease. The bushing on the White Wheel side is brass where the other side should just be a machined steel part of the spindle. Be carful with the solvent it will melt the paint in the #'s.
Dyno

I used some parts cleaner to help dissolve the old grease. The bushing on the White Wheel side is brass where the other side should just be a machined steel part of the spindle. Be carful with the solvent it will melt the paint in the #'s.
Dyno

Thanks- I cleaned it as best I could with a soft wire brush between the gears. The right side is a brass piece and honestly I think it is glued on tight. I know the odometer isn't accurate anyway, so I set it where I wanted it and will reinstall once I get new dash bulbs I ordered. We'll see if it spins or not! At least I won't have to look at the exact same number anymore haha.

Did you also try to pull the left side off? I don’t really remember, maybe the right side isn’t meant to come off & you have to come at it from the left.

All I remember for certain is I did change the 1/10 gear, maybe I removed them all to get to it.🙈

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom