Not starting but starter clicking??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The small red wire on the Picture is just for the Magneto (the Klicking noise).
The big Black one should be connected to the minus of your Batterie and to the Engine , it doesnt really matter where.
Seems to me that you have no ground on it.

If you got a Voltmeter/Multitester put the Red Voltmeter wire to the Big Red Wire of the Starter and the Black Voltmeter wire to your Engine and let someone start the vehicle. If the voltage is going down bigtime you can be shure that the missing ground is your problem

Anyway, if you find out what it was.........let us know.....i dont like to die stupid . :D

Looking at your picture, there is a battery wire comeing up to the top of the mounting bracket. What does that go to? That seems like a poor ground point.

ken

70Lcruiser, that is not the case. the truck usually wont even turn over. Romer, the large red wire connected to the battery mounting bracket is just the wiresd to the winch. i leave them off the battery terminal when not using them. I have a stupid question i guess. i need to ground the starter but where should i hook the ground wire to one the starter. does it matter? jsut any bolt. Also. FJ-40 garage, are you talking about the starter ground or the battery ground. the battery has a good ground to the frame if thats what your thinking.

So got Ground on the Body but as it seems virtually no Ground at the Engine.

Connect the Ground to the Engine and i guess your starting problems will be solved, both must have proper connection. (Body&Engine!)

The starter grounds to the engine via the iron casting surfaces when bolted to the bell housing. So if you have a good ground to the engine you shouldn't need an extra grounding wire to the starter. I however had a truck that had a poor surface grounding to the engine from the starter so I actually did put a ground wire on the starter housing and the problem was solved. It is likely that if you make sure the grounding from the battery-frame-engine is good your problems will diminish. That is a good place to start tracking down this kind of problem.

amazingly enough i had the same exact problem last week. i replaced the starter the alternator the batery and i searched for the problem for a week straight. i even redid the wiring harness. then later on i found the one simple problem that was messing it all up. a little $27.67 part called the voltage regulator i replaced it and cruiser has started perfectly every time since then. try that if it works :D if not then im not sure but i would try it . best of luck

merc :cheers:

Thanks alot for all you help guys. i went out today, grounded the starter to the frame just like our 60 is, jumped it, drove about 5min to town and refilled on gas, after that it did start up. so that is encouraging. i got home. shut it off and it started again but still a little weak. in the morning when i leave for school we'll see if it starts up ok. if it starts up then i'd imagine it would be alright. a mechanic a long time ago told me the carb fan was draining it, if the truck seems to keep a charge now i will hook the carb fan back up b/c it works and i really like that thing. thanks though. i will update tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom