Not cooling my seat enough (re: seat cooling) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

10-13 seat fan

s-l1600.png
s-l1600.png
s-l1600.png

10-13 seat fan

s-l1600.png
s-l1600.png
s-l1600.png

That thing is tiny. No wonder it's terrible. I need to get a hold of one so I can disassemble it for research. Perhaps I could find a way to scan the housing and 3D print a chassis that uses the same mount points that would allow either four small or one large high flow Noctua PC case fan.

A couple years ago I did a track day driving a new Porsche Cayman. Aside from all the fun, it was getting a little warm so the tech (in the passengers seat) showed me the seat coolers.
Oh my gosh! It was pushing so many CFM's I thought I was a puck on an air hockey table!
THAT's how I believe our seats should be.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I did a track day driving a new Porsche Cayman. Aside from all the fun, it was getting a little warm so the tech (in the passengers seat showed me the seat coolers.
Oh my gosh! It was pushing so many CFM's I though I was a puck on an air hockey table!
THAT's how I believe our seats should be.
That's how my RAM 2500 is. It's night and day.

IIRC... some use Peltier coolers, direct plumbing of AC fans to seats, and I think even some AC setup like the console refrig in the LC and non-US market 460s

I just printed it in draft

I had to resize example here to get this print to fit.

I probably won't know for a couple months if I notice a difference since weather is still cool and rainy here. I've actually not really had any complaints with seats in mine but climate is far milder from heat perspective than many of you.

Under Drivers seat:

img_0098_e9b6cd3033de2701b73bffeca585e46210fee6de.jpg

••• Other 460 3D Options

Last edited:
IIRC... some use Peltier coolers, direct plumbing of AC fans to seats, and I think even some AC setup like the console refrig in the LC and non-US market 460s

I just printed it in draft

I had to resize example here to get this print to fit.

I probably won't know for a couple months if I notice a difference since weather is still cool and rainy here. I've actually not really had any complaints with seats in mine but climate is far milder from heat perspective than many of you.

Under Drivers seat:

img_0098_e9b6cd3033de2701b73bffeca585e46210fee6de.jpg
So when the HVAC is off does the fans just use their own air then? When I'm alone I run with the HVAC off and windows down a bit unless it's 80+ degrees outside.

So when the HVAC is off does the fans just use their own air then? When I'm alone I run with the HVAC off and windows down a bit unless it's 80+ degrees outside.
😂 😂 Soon enough our LOWS won't even be below 80°... 😭

How does seat foam condition affect fan performance?

I think it very well could as well as how much debris has found it's way down into the seat.
Or with foam collapse or being depressed for years. I'm sure mine isn't in that good of shape given it's a 2010 model.

I am green with envy. Here is the temperature pattern in Houston:

79A341BA-BF23-452A-8523-0FBACCB3CF78.jpeg

Coupled with the humidity, summers are pretty brutal here. Definitely looking forward to this 3-D printed device to reroute some of the cooler air into the seat from the floor. I will be sure to report my findings.

Looks like a scoop may be worth a try. I'm interested in seeing the foam channels, as was mentioned.

Looks like a scoop may be worth a try. I'm interested in seeing the foam channels, as was mentioned.

Scoop print is available for download via linked CL thread as it was designed by a member there that shared to forum community.

Digging around more, and the fan turns pretty slowly, even in high mode. The bottom fan doesn't point straight up, but rather tilts towards the back. Regardless, only the front half of both seat bottoms have air coming out. On the upper side, only the middle third (above the lumbar) flows air. This is on a 2011. Is everyone else's the same?

Bonus, I found one of my nice flashlights under the seat that had been missing for some time, so there's that...

Last edited:
I found my new Dr KDSS fuse box cover when I was fitting the the 3D duct. It had gotten pushed under the rear seat.

fuse_box_covered_wide_1800x1800.png.jpg

I've tried using my air compressor nozzle and pointing it upward, under the seat to see if I could get more CFM, but didn't feel anything more at all.
Regarding Peltier, also known as thermoelectric cooling/heating may work. For our capstone project for my masters degree, we used Peltier plates, bu they will only do about 20° - 30° plus warmer or minus cooler than what ever the ambient temperature is. Which for seats would be fine, but don't ever buy a fridge/cooler with them. Basically if you have drinks you want to keep cool, the best it'll do is about 30° below whatever your vehicle interior is. so you guys in the southern states, when your interior is 115°+ , take about 30° off that and that's about how cool you can expect your favorite beverage to be.
The other thing about Peliter plates is that as one side of the plate get cooler the exact opposite happens on the other side of the plate, i.e. it gets warmer.
They are pretty cheap and fun to play with if you're ever bored.
Amazon product ASIN B078T7J3SF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom