North county machine shop recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for a shop that is reputable in north county. I’ve got a 8-72’ FJ40 block I’m trying to restore. Currently stuck with the flat head screws staked into the timing plate. Would love to take it to a shop and have them replaced along with other clean up processes while I have the block out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

5CF47D0A-9F77-4DBE-97DE-643DD84D6CA2.jpeg

I have had good luck with Mesa Machine in Escondido up the street from the auto park on Auto Parkway. I have had them resurface flywheels up to completely rebuild a Chevy 350. They are a good old school shop. The owner has been at it forever.

Frank

Avoid HDS Machine in Escondido. They may have used to be good but they are now a turn-n-burn production shop as much as they can be, and don't bother with the details. They ruined a valve job on my 1FZ-FE by not checking the springs (the old ones were too week and the head needed redone again after 60K miles), I had to take the block back to them multiple times after finding incorrect main bearing clearances, and they also forgot to machine the timing cover. No attention to detail.

Those aren't terribly hard to remove if you would rather save some money. I just hit mine with a flatheadon one side and it went pretty well.

This is the tool most would recommend for the job

Amazon product ASIN B004QO9FK2
You probably already know this, but be sure to replace those with the allen head variant, I think they are from the 80 series.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom