Non-Nav Conversion: HVAC button illumination (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently completed a non-nav conversion and new double DIN head unit install on my 2007.

The only remaining issue I haven’t been able to sort out is how to get the HVAC button illumination to work. I followed the directions and spliced into the wires in the ashtray and verified that those connections are solid with my multimeter.

Has anyone been able to get this work? And if so, what’s the trick? Maybe it’s a different pin slot on the 2007-2009 model due to the different HVAC controls?

The only caveat I have is that I didn’t use a pin in the female plug, I just shoved the wire in. I’m working on getting a proper pin for it to try that but thought I would ask the hive mind in the meantime.

Recently completed a non-nav conversion and new double DIN head unit install on my 2007.

The only remaining issue I haven’t been able to sort out is how to get the HVAC button illumination to work. I followed the directions and spliced into the wires in the ashtray and verified that those connections are solid with my multimeter.

Has anyone been able to get this work? And if so, what’s the trick? Maybe it’s a different pin slot on the 2007-2009 model due to the different HVAC controls?

The only caveat I have is that I didn’t use a pin in the female plug, I just shoved the wire in. I’m working on getting a proper pin for it to try that but thought I would ask the hive mind in the meantime.
Hi, Sorry, no information to help you but did want to ask you how hard the conversion was. Did you document it somewhere? Would you do it again? Any insights appreciated.

Hi, Sorry, no information to help you but did want to ask you how hard the conversion was. Did you document it somewhere? Would you do it again? Any insights appreciated.
Yep I figured it out. I tried to be lazy and just shove the wire into the plug. After using a pin as suggested in the instructions everything works like a charm. Although I did have to replace some of the light bulbs in the hvac control unit but that was unrelated to the issues I was having.

I would 100% do this again, the results are well worth the effort in my opinion.

Yep I figured it out. I tried to be lazy and just shove the wire into the plug. After using a pin as suggested in the instructions everything works like a charm. Although I did have to replace some of the light bulbs in the hvac control unit but that was unrelated to the issues I was having.

I would 100% do this again, the results are well worth the effort in my opinion.

Would you mind sharing some details on how you got the illumination working? I bought the pins based on the part # in the pdf doc that was included in the main conversion thread on here but I can't get the pin inserted into the connector. Not sure if I am failing to get the connector unlocked, or maybe I have the wrong pin.

Would you mind sharing some details on how you got the illumination working? I bought the pins based on the part # in the pdf doc that was included in the main conversion thread on here but I can't get the pin inserted into the connector. Not sure if I am failing to get the connector unlocked, or maybe I have the wrong pin.
I too purchased pins from a guy on ebay but wasn't able to get them to work for whatever reason. I ended up cannibalizing a pin from the CD changer. I did this using a cheap de-pinning key set I purchased from Amazon.

To add the pin for the button illumination make sure you're lifting up the "collar" (not sure the correct name here) on the plug. Once that has been lifted up, you should be able to fully insert the new pin in the proper location. To secure it you then push the "collar" back down firmly in place. I hope that helps, let me know how it goes!

I too purchased pins from a guy on ebay but wasn't able to get them to work for whatever reason. I ended up cannibalizing a pin from the CD changer. I did this using a cheap de-pinning key set I purchased from Amazon.

To add the pin for the button illumination make sure you're lifting up the "collar" (not sure the correct name here) on the plug. Once that has been lifted up, you should be able to fully insert the new pin in the proper location. To secure it you then push the "collar" back down firmly in place. I hope that helps, let me know how it goes!

Thanks for the reply! I will try using a pin from the CD changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom