No vacuum at the distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
  1. I decided that 1200 rpm for idle was stupid. I knew it was fast, but now know it was 1200 because I finally attached a newly bought fancy-dancy timing light that had an RPM indicator. I also learned it was running at 27 degrees advance. I dialed down the advance by twisting the distributor, and adjusted the idle speed by turning random screws on the carb (I had some wine earlier) but realized there was no vacuum on the distributor hose. I attached my Mity-Vac to the vacuum line, and nothing registered. Also attached it to the distributor and pumped it up to -20, but no change in the idle speed. Any ideas what's up? It's a '76, mostly desmogged, but still has that mystery box on the driver's side with all the vacuum hoses attached. I obviously suck at this stuff. Any help?

I forgot to add; the rig stinks of exhaust. I initially thought it was because the tailpipe was busted under the rig, but even after rerouting out the driver's side behind the rear wheel, I still feel like the thing is trying to slowly kill me. Even after all the love I'm showing it.

So you're not getting a vacuum signal from your carb? 76 Aisan correct? What port is it pulling from? Did you test only the idle signal or also vacuum at high RPM's.

As for your dizzy, with the cap off, can you see the points plate move when suction is applied. Does it move clockwise or counter-clock? I wonder if you have a retard dizzy? That may explain the missing vroom when Vacuum is applied with your MightyVac while running. FJ40Jim has typed lots of gems of wisdom reguarding 76 dizzies & carbs. If you want to sip;) and search, his posts are legit.

As for the gassy fumes, the reading I've done has led me to believe a LEAN condition is often the cause. I believe @Pin_Head has explained why in some posts. What jets are in your carb???

The '76 distributor is a vacuum retard unit that is electrically controlled, so it normally has no vacuum at idle. My rusty recollection is that it only turns on above a certain speed and light engine load as in high speed cruising conditions.

If you have the top off, you can smell exhaust while driving.

Might not hurt to post up some pics of your distributor, someone will be able to confirm if it's a 76 retard or another vintage. I know FJ40Jim has mentioned the best 2F distributor, I don't think 76's made the list. If you want to get all high tech, he can recurve a later 2F distributor for you. Heck, he may even have one on his shelf. He also mentions some good main jet sizes for your 76 carb. Assuming you have the origional Aisan. My understanding is your 76 Aisan is possibly the best year to have (power wise) if jetted correctly. Search 75-76 carb posted by:FJ40Jim

IMG_6332.JPG
IMG_6333.JPG
I think you all are right about the vacuum retard. That is what the hose is labeled on that mystery box on the driver side. Here is a picture, anyway. Thanks for everyone's help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom