No start/starter when key turned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had this happen a few times over the last month or two. I get in and turn key and get nothing. All normal dash lights just no starter. Then i turn key back and ive it a good solid turn and everything goes 100% normal. Honestly i think 90% chance i am just not turning the key all the way. It ussually happens when i am distracted or doing other things.

Truck background. 1994 250,000 on it. Very well PM. Fresh dual batt, clean heavy guage grounds, no codes, drive it every day about 20,000 a year.

I think this is simply operator error on my part. But if it is something would you guys guess a ignition switch? Is that a part that often wears?

Or would you be looking at starter selonid? I got the OEM parts to do a starter rebuild about a year ago but then found out the PO put a aftermarket starter in. So i was cassually looking for a good oem to rebuild as future pm.

What do you guys think? Mostly i figure if it is realy a problem and not my weak starter hand then it will become obvious in the future.

A little more info. No click when it does not start. So to me no power hitting starter.

Also, is there a relay that is worth looking into?

Last edited:
In my experience aftermarket starters (in comparison to a Toyota Denso) are problematic. I haven't read on here too many ignition switch problems on these trucks. Assuming you were experiencing this problem before the dual batteries? Probably a faulty solenoid in the starter if you've confirmed all your connections are solid and your starter battery is confirmed healthy.

FYI a Denso reman is only about $125-150

I'm no mechanic. Just a shade tree guy who likes saving money. I had the same problem about a year ago. After installing a starter (no luck) and scratching my head more and more trying to figure it out. I replaced the Neutral Safty switch. Pretty easy fix. Problem solved. Good luck.

Neutal safty switch is a good thought. I had one go bad on a civic i owned on time.

Batt and all that should be good. None of it is a "new" chang but it is all great condition. The batt and system are about 1 year old and have about 25,000 miles perfect funtion.

Is it an auto? Mine is doing the same thing now.... I have worked out its the neutral safety switch. next time it happens, put it in neutral and im sure it will start... it will be an easy fix.
Cheers

Is it an auto? Mine is doing the same thing now.... I have worked out its the neutral safety switch. next time it happens, put it in neutral and im sure it will start... it will be an easy fix.y
Cheers

I wil try that if i need it. At this point everytime i turn the key again it starts rigt up.

Ohh so common issue on these cars, not just with after market starters. I still get a slight pause between cold starts. Sometimes a light tap on the end of the starter with a screw driver or hammer does the trick to looses the bushes. In my exp the rubber grommet on the underneath of the starter comes off and crap gets inside easy (dust loves to seize up the bushes).

Went through this with my son's 94. Rebuilt starter contacts and plunger twice in 1 year. Replaced battery ground and battery. Kept a broom stick in the truck in case it didn't start which happened about once or twice/week. Then added the Ford solenoid that @jvazquez53 recommended. Truck still starts perfectly every time since the mod.
The problem lies in the 23 year old wiring to the solenoid, to the ignition switch or the switch itself. The solenoid sends direct 12V from the battery to the solenoid via the relay.
Here's the thread I started: 94 delayed cranking. Starter, ignition switch, or other?
One thing I did notice was occasionally you could leave the ignition switch turned forward about 5 seconds then it would start. I also tried starting it in Neutral bypassing the NSS to no avail.

Bad starter contacts. Repair the starter if your are comfortable attempting it, or obtain a quality remanudactured unit such as the OEM Toyota piece.

Bad starter contacts. Repair the starter if your are comfortable attempting it, or obtain a quality remanudactured unit such as the OEM Toyota piece.

Thanks CDan. I have the part back home from Onur sitting on a shelf. The parts are for a 1994. Any idea if they will fit the other year starters? I will need to dig up a OEM starter to do the rebuild on when i get back home in a few months.

Thanks for everyones info. Since this is so intermittent and maybe not even really a problem i will aproch it as a PM.

I am going to check and make mental note of which dash lights come on with the key in differnt positions. From what i read this can indicate a bad NSS during a no start situation.

I will open up and clean the NSS barrel conecter in the driverside wheel well area and then seal up with dielectric grease.

Lastly i will find a OEM starter and install my contacts and plunger that i have sitting on my shelf at home.

I guess i will move it up on my list of PM to get it done sooner rather than later.

Just make sure you have the contacts clamped down well when tightening the fasteners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom