No rear blinkers Green wire?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Jroach321, May 1, 2017.

1. Jroach321

Jroach321

There is a green wire with a black stripe under the carpet at the very back of the truck it runs from one side of rear panel to the other.
    Mine is only connected on the drivers side.
    My rear blinkers aren't working so I'm assuming it's a ground but not sure. Wiring diagrams don't seem to break it down to where it leads to.
    Thanks!

2. shocktower

shocktower

Do your brake lights work ? There is a magic little box called the hopper in the right very rear kick panel, when these die they stop the blinking, check that with a test light. It is a 2x3x 3/4" black box with the trailer harness

3. Jroach321

Jroach321

Brake lights work. I don't see a black box though. . . I even pulled the sub to find it.

4. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

The wire you are describing is not a factory installed wire but is aftermarket/owner/dealer installed trailer light converter connection. It taps into the left turn signal and runs to the converter box normally placed behind the right rear interior trim panel. That is where the right turn, brake and tail lights are tapped and where the trailer light pigtail originates. There is a good chance the converter box is toast causing your problems. Don't know what your statement "Mine is only connected on the drivers side" means.

5. Kaninja

Kaninja

That is good to know. I recently found this same wire and it really looked out of place. I thought the PO had rigged up some sketchy looking wiring for the rear lights.

6. Jroach321

Jroach321

Doesn't this say floor wire number 3 would be in its location?
    Where exactly is this box because I don't see one in there at all.
    I did remove a wire harness box that was under the truck that looked like hack trailer harness job, but it did all plug into the harness under the truck.
    IMG_9809.PNG

7. Jroach321

Jroach321

"Mine is only connected on the drivers side" means that the green wire is connected like this but obviously not factory splice. It ran under the carpet to the passenger side but ended in the kick panel.
    The electrical tape is just there to take slack out of the wire in there.
    IMG_9810.JPG

IMG_9811.JPG

8. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

The trailer light converter will not be documented in the FSM as it was not installed at the factory. Trailer lights in the US are 4-wire systems where the brake lights are shared with the turn signals versus the vehicle being Japan standard has separate lights for brakes (red) and turn signals (yellow) therefore the need for the converter. Some were port installed, others dealer installed but was an option. It may have never been installed but based upon your description a previous owner eliminated it or replaced it with something else. You are own your own to figure that out.

9. racevws

racevws

Media:
    I have been digging in the same area, and the turn signals on the truck work fine, but only the left signal works on the trailer. I have a 7 prong hookup on my truck (with a blue wire aftermarket brake controller). No power to the left turn signal light. I have traced it to the trailer light relay box noted above, but I am not sure what I am supposed to be testing.

10. racevws

racevws

Media:
    Correction, my PS trailer lights don't work. I'm trying to find the source of the short

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.