No high beam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 93 Landcruiser and High beam stopped working on the weekend.Can anyone tell me if there is a seperate fuse for High Beam? High beam works if I flash (pull the lever towards me.) When I push the lever to high beam I loose all lights. I have checked all fuses I can find but no go. I am hoping its not the switch assembly on the steering column. Any ideas?

Mine has the same issue and it is the switch assembly in the steering column. I had your exact problem and now pulling the lever towards me does not work anymore.

Thanks DUGGY. I was hoping for a fuse! The steering column assembly looks expensive. I will try and pick one up second hand and hope it doesn't have the same problem.

Both headlights assemblies ground to the fenders. Check those grounds. I had the same issue and I fixed it by running.ground wires directly to the battery

easy fix on mine. experienced that too. flash works but highbeams dont. this could not be a ground problem since flash works. open up the switch and smoothen out the contacts. they get pitted with carbon deposits. and it works.did the repair 3 years ago and it still works

easy fix on mine. experienced that too. flash works but highbeams dont. this could not be a ground problem since flash works. open up the switch and smoothen out the contacts. they get pitted with carbon deposits. and it works.did the repair 3 years ago and it still works

You are right. Now that I think about it I had very dim lights

I had to swap mine out. It isn't too bad. Just keep up with where the wires go in the plug. Un-pin the old and re-pin the new. I may take the old one apart and clean and check the contacts and keep it as a spare in case the new/old one starts giving trouble.

Anybody have a how-to on how to remove this thing?

Remove & Replace Hibeam Switch

DUGGY,
Ask and you shall receive...

FYI...I did this on a 1994 w/o airbags so beware if you have them. And keep track of what screws go where as there were 3 different kinds involved in mine.

First remove the horn cover/center section. There are 2 clips that pull off on top (by jerking towards you) and one screw to remove at the bottom on the back side of the wheel. Now remove the horn connector wire.

Then loosen the center steering wheel nut with a 19mm socket. Don't remove it - leave it on so you can yank the wheel off without damage to your face. It helps if you have parked with the tires pointed straight so it's easy to realign the splines of the steering wheel. Make witness marks if that's not the case. Remove the nut and wheel.

You'll need to loosen the lower dash panel. There are 3 screws to remove. Then just pry it forward - it doesn't need to come off completely.

Now remove the 5 screws under the steering column surround. Two of the machine screws are going to be difficult to reinstall unless you pay attention. The ones on the left and right each thread into a metal piece that has 2 holes per side. DS goes in the hole towards the front end, PS goes in the hole towards the rear end. I'd suggest installing these first when reassembling.

The entire assembly that you need to remove is held on with 4 screws in the 4 corners. They're all the same. Remove them. There is a large harness connector attached to the switch assembly that is held in place by a bendable retainer on the column. It is one piece but the mating connection is 2 pieces. Their release mechanism is on the bottom side. Remove them and slide the switch assembly off of the column.

Install the new assembly and button it up using the reverse directions.

Here are the pics...

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Last edited:
Pesky machine screws on the (LHD) DS and PS of the column. Insert these first when reinstalling the lower column surround.

EDIT...Maybe they both go in the front end holes, but I think maybe the camera was facing the wrong way. Look for yourselves - one hole per side is threaded properly. Damned if I'm gonna open it up again.

--john

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Image 1.jpg

My high beams are inop when pushed forward but work on the momentary pull. Can someone confirm this is the part I need?

84112-69445
Headlamp Switch

Same here, I drive holding my lever pulled toward me every time I drive to my cabin and need high beams. No high beams when pushed forward.

Yeah same thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom