Nicolas' Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all lovers of Land Cruiser !

I'm Nicolas from France. With my wife, we recently purchased an HDJ100.
Some infos :
  • first registration : 11/2001
  • 2 previous owner
  • 280k km
  • no modifications (except a LED bar on the original front bumper)

It seems that the car had good maintenance but with the time I discover some things need to be take care of :
  • rust on the spare tire holder
  • carpet is very dirty
  • front silent bloc need to be changed (said by previous owner)
We know next to nothing in mechanic (change a wheel, check fluid level). So it will be an interesting learning curve.

We plan to do a 4 to 6 months road trip in Europe (if allowed with all the sh*** happening at the moment). So we will create a moving house.
The main parts :
  • rooftop tent
  • drawer on the trunk
  • electrical circuit to be self-sufficient for a fridge, lights and electronics)
  • "light" mechanical mods : new wheels, maybe some other parts if we discover problems
The next posts will show what we already did.

I hope it will be interesting and I look forward to all the advice you have !

Some photos of the car
IMG_20210720_114552.jpg
IMG_20210720_114613.jpg

First thing we add was 3 roof rails. We bought them online from a french maker in the south of France.
It's extruded aluminum bar in double width. It's a standard industrial bar so connector are widely available.
IMG_20210721_103238.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone !

After several weeks far from the car, back for some mechanics : the alternator is dying :(
After several non-start of the car, a garage did some test and, engine running with some lights, it gives 11.9V :eek:
So, I buy a new one
IMG_20210808_154747.jpg

And the fun began !
Several attempts to access it without removing the radiator and fan were unsuccessful, so with a friend we remove them. We manage to remove the upper and lower bolts from the generator, but no to loosen the accessory belt so nothing move
IMG_20210813_201535.jpg
IMG_20210813_201547.jpg
IMG_20210813_201558.jpg

I need advice from you guys. How to proceed ? Do I forgot a bolt or with the 20 past years, it's kind of stuck ?
Thanks

IMG_20210813_201642.jpg

Did it !

In fact, all was unscrew correctly, the key was more WD40 (pretty much always the answer) and some raw strength to move the alternator.

This afternoon : install the new one in place and put the radiator back.

Did it !

In fact, all was unscrew correctly, the key was more WD40 (pretty much always the answer) and some raw strength to move the alternator.

This afternoon : install the new one in place and put the radiator back.
You got lucky, that bolt snaps sometimes…I had to drill it out on mine after it snapped.

You got lucky, that bolt snaps sometimes…I had to drill it out on mine after it snapped.
The "raw strength" was after that I remove the bolt (only to move the alternator from its support)
To remove the bolt, I use a lot of WD40 and a week of wait time between my tries.
Last week when I started, nothing move and breaking the bolt was my biggest fear 😅

Hello,

I resume posting about my build. I work the last months but didn't have the time to post.

Last summer, after the alternator episode, I work on the media center. It will be with 2 parts :
- an in-car PC (more on that later)
- an android tablet on the center console.

First, I remove the old radio and tape player.
IMG_20210719_173928.jpg

To support the tablet, I use a RAM mount with 4 parts : ball size C, a small arm, a medium length arm and a tablet holder.
IMG_20210905_122716.jpg

To hold the RAM mount, I made a wood support and use the original tape player brackets
IMG_20210905_122748.jpg
IMG_20210905_162132.jpg
IMG_20210905_162143.jpg

IMG_20210905_164002.jpg
IMG_20210905_175909.jpg
IMG_20210905_180554.jpg

The tablet is a Samsung Tab A7. I prefer to use a dedicated tablet instead of an all-in-one that plug to the car because I can install what I want on it on use it around the car (to plan the next day road for example). The downside is that I can't manage car parameters (speed, temperature ...)
On the tablet, I install OsmAnd, a GPS software and plug a dedicated GPS receiver. It works perfectly : I can have full GPS capabilities without data or phone connectivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom