Newbie To The Pickup Scene (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Just bought my first pickup and figured I would introduce myself.

1983 short bed with a freshly rebuilt 22R, what I believe to be a Marlin L52 transmission, Marlin transfer case that I haven't identified yet, 5.29's in the diffs with Detroit lockers front and rear sitting on 33X12.5's. Let me know if there is anything drastic I should check, I really only know 40's and 55's.

:cheers:
P5210017.jpg
P5210019.jpg

Last edited:
Whoo!
Nice 83!
Welcome to the dark side!

Thank you very much. Wanted one since I was a little kid and I finally got one.

I know how you feel, my first encounters with the First-Gens came about back in high school, a neighbor of my friends had one just like yours. I drooled over that thing for years until I got my own.
83's the best year for a first-generation 4X4, stronger 5-speeds, 22R stock. It's also the best built truck for the 22R because of how light it is, the power-to-weight ratio's just perfect.

Wish I had 5.29's though...

I wanted one before I knew what a cruiser was, and that was a long time ago.

I wish I had some armor for it.

wow.....

i mean crap....crap absolute crap.....ill take it from you. now i just have to get it over to the east coast. :bang:

Nice rig man. what did you pay if you dont mind me asking? over here you probably couldnt touch that for 4k, that is if you could even find one.

Thanks Everyone. I payed $3500.

great steal. im a little jealous.

got any plans for this truck or just going to enjoy it the way it is?

Right now just need to get it to pass smog and get the throttle to stop sticking. I'll armor it all the way around as soon as possible, maybe re-upholster the bench so the foam doesn't fall apart.

I see some alcans and a crawlbox or two in my future though... Possibly.

Step one is find an emissions manual.

Yep. Welcome to California. Smog cut-off is '75. I'm pretty sure all I have to do to get it to pass is pull some blocking plates out one of the PO's installed. Apparently unburnt fuel isn't being returned to the carb and that's the only reason the PO couldn't get it to pass. At least thats what I'm told.

damn corn, you have to find the missing parts, not just remove the block offs, and if they are still there, you will have to make sure they work too!

Yep. Welcome to California. Smog cut-off is '75. I'm pretty sure all I have to do to get it to pass is pull some blocking plates out one of the PO's installed. Apparently unburnt fuel isn't being returned to the carb and that's the only reason the PO couldn't get it to pass. At least thats what I'm told.

22R-C has EGR, O2 Sensor and O2 pump. Best make sure the PO didn't hack the engine harness up to lose the smog relays and such too, or you may be up a certain aptly named creek on that one.

22R-C has EGR, O2 Sensor and O2 pump. Best make sure the PO didn't hack the engine harness up to lose the smog relays and such too, or you may be up a certain aptly named creek on that one.

Apparently all he did that keeps it from passing is block off the EGR. All the levels are low, passes visual and everything, just runs to rich to the computer I guess.

Apparently all he did that keeps it from passing is block off the EGR. All the levels are low, passes visual and everything, just runs to rich to the computer I guess.

that could be it, EGR's a nothing part, and replacements can be had, but hooking it up is a secret handshake as-is. IMO it's better to get a new EGR valve from Toyota and new hoses than to run some horked-over 28 year-old POS from a wrecker.

1 son with 2 rigs

No wonder my garage is such a mess

You will fail HC if the smog pump isn't working correctly, or if the Ox sensor is bad.

Nice, very nice. Sure do miss my 82 short bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom