Newbie hit a roadblock- Running rough (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my 1994 FZJ80 about two months ago. Previous owner thought he threw a bearing therefore needed a motor swap. He provided a 'running' replacement 1fz-fe in the price. I knowingly bought it as a project and a learning opportunity. I haven't run into any roadblocks swapping the motors in and out mostly thanks to all the great content in the forums here.

This is where I am starting to feel really out of my element. I hooked everything up and am not sure where to go next. It will idle but it is constantly backfiring and the motor is shaking like crazy. Some of my thoughts; could it be a timing issue? Vacuum lines? Should I keep it idling longer than 30 seconds and see what happens? I have a feeling it is something major though.

Side note: I noticed the 1fzfe that I pulled had one vacuum line across the front of the motor the new motor has two and is now missing a connection. (see pics for comparison) Also the airbox that came in the LC has a connection to nowhere. Different years I assume, could that be contributing to the problem?

Here is the video link.

I bought my 1994 FZJ80 about two months ago. Previous owner thought he threw a bearing therefore needed a motor swap. He provided a 'running' replacement 1fz-fe in the price. I knowingly bought it as a project and a learning opportunity. I haven't run into any roadblocks swapping the motors in and out mostly thanks to all the great content in the forums here.

This is where I am starting to feel really out of my element. I hooked everything up and am not sure where to go next. It will idle but it is constantly backfiring and the motor is shaking like crazy. Some of my thoughts; could it be a timing issue? Vacuum lines? Should I keep it idling longer than 30 seconds and see what happens? I have a feeling it is something major though.

Side note: I noticed the 1fzfe that I pulled had one vacuum line across the front of the motor the new motor has two and is now missing a connection. (see pics for comparison) Also the airbox that came in the LC has a connection to nowhere. Different years I assume, could that be contributing to the problem?

Here is the video link.

Check your plug wires for proper location.
Check to make sure spark plugs are in and tight.
Check timing.

Did you have the distributor out at all. Che k for TDC and rotor on #1. May be off a tooth.

Also sounds like exhaust leak.

Yes, double check line routing.

What year engine was used for the replacement?

I'm not sure what year it is, I did grab the number off the drivers side of block- 1fz 046008 not sure if that helps

Girl in the back looks concerned lol

Doesn't sound good but what he said is a good place to start
Oh and I don't see any pics that you mention

Also, on the plug wires, are those OEM or aftermarket? It sounds to me like spark plug wire arcing through to ground, as in they are crossed and really s***ty plug wires. Arcing to each other or arcing to ground. Shut off the lights and make it really dark, start it, and look for the light show.

Girl in the back looks concerned lol

Doesn't sound good but what he said is a good place to start
Oh and I don't see any pics that you mention

She sure was haha

I have attached the photos I mentioned earlier.

15931950482199126463922669924248.jpg

15931950804973203285212924467537.jpg

15931950955037660150602075102847.jpg

Looks like your previous engine was a 3fe so that's the older air cleaner. You'll need the 1fz air cleaner to match up...not sure if there's any negatives with using that one but that's why it's different

Alright, I followed all your guys recommendations and it sounds 1000x better. Exhaust definitley is leaking pretty bad. I reused my header gaskets could that be a cause?

Regarding that rogue vaccum line, could I just block that off?

Looks like your previous engine was a 3fe so that's the older air cleaner. You'll need the 1fz air cleaner to match up...not sure if there's any negatives with using that one but that's why it's different
Not a 3FE. 93-94 1fzfe

That metal vacuum line on the front of the motor is for control of the PAIR valve on 93-94 1FZ-FE motors. Yes you can cap it off as the PAIR is not installed.

In the first picture it shows an OEM air cleaner for 93-94 vehicles. The device hung off the top front of the lid is a silencer for the air hose that goes to the PAIR valve. The mess that is zip-tied looks like a taped up mess trying to block off the hose. With no PAIR installed the best and cleanest solution is to plug the large pipe nipple on the top cover of the air cleaner and remove that hose completely. I used and expanding rubber plug that normally used as a freeze plug replacement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom