newb contest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The more you look at it the more problems you think you see.
It could be just my sight or your camera.

03-29-07 01:41 AM65swb45Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCFJ40
It looks like the transmission output bearing is too big - 4-speed bearing in a 3-speed transfer case?
Alfred

Not exactly, but..........;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like its sticking out to far,, to much "thrust" :confused: V8:confused:

I don't know , never been in a TC before..
but I like this, a learning adventure..

BINGO!! We have a WINNER!

I will take pics and explain what happened INSIDE the case today or tomorrow. PM me your addy for the shirt.:)

And the top cover is missing.
Heck what else?

Well I can't take full credit. CNCFJ40 pionted it out. I didn't notice till he posted. Mark, you're the judge you call it.

He was talking about me, right:eek: ?

Looks like Mark will have to tear the shirt in half, like Solomon was going to....

Rocky

Wrench-off!

Looks like Mark will have to tear the shirt in half, like Solomon was going to....

Nah, just send that shirt to a neutral party somewhere in NC and we'll have a wrench-off! ;)

Seriously, it seems clear to me from Mark's replies that wdFJ40 nailed it. The shirt (and all the rights and priviliges appertaining thereunto) goes to him as far as I'm concerned.

Great idea, Mark! I'm still looking forward to 'the rest of the story,' and would appreciate seeing more of these. Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Cheers,
Alfred

Sorry I didn't get back to my own thread sooner.:eek: I've been sooooooo busy working on all my customer's projects, with the wheeling season upon us, that I couldn't remember to bring the camera home with the photos!

Here's what happened to the idler gear:
gear01.JPG

In a nutshell, what happened is that the spacer behind the bearing that locks the whole assembly together was missing, and the customer didn't even know one was needed. Locked the nut down, assumed all was good. The imput gear slowly worked its way back, pushing the PTO gear and bearing with it. Until it reached the back edge of the idler gear, where it rounded off pretty much all the teeth until it was allowed to just spin against a few of them on the side.:eek:
idler02.JPG

Thank you all for your interest. It was fun for me too. I already have a part picked out for the next contest. Now I just have to remember to take the camera BACK TO THE SHOP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom