New wheels/tires installed! Now what to do about the scrubbing … (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just had a new set of 17x8.5 +25mm Icon Thrusts installed along with 285/70r17 BFG KO2 Load Range C 113/116S tires. Currently I just have the 1” factory spacer/level for suspension work.

I expected some rub, but before I went to molding/trimming I wanted to make sure this is t something I could improve with alignment. Thought? And any “preferred” methods of limiting forward scrubbing apart from getting a new bumper?

Thanks!

IMG_0961.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0963.jpeg

IMG_0962.jpeg

20230826_151151.jpeg

And some straight on shots of the side. The rubbing seems to occur on an incline and near full lock. I don’t think the back of the tire is rubbing, but it is VERY close.

IMG_0965.jpeg

IMG_0964.jpeg

I had a similar set up to yours with +25 equivalent offset wheels and 285/70r17s and mine rarely rubbed on the front. All I did in the front wheel well was the removal of the mud guards. I rubbed a bit in the front from time to time in reverse but not enough to do anything about it. I guess alignment plays a role here.

I now have your same wheels (in black) with 35" tires. In the front wheel well I had to mold the rear with a heat gun and move the front by relocating the screws.

You have a lot of caster in there and that’ll increase rubbing in front of the front wheel well. If you are hitting at the front much more than the back you could put the caster into a more neutral place and gain a little front clearance.

End of day +25s with your tire diameter need massaging to make work.

I’ve noticed that my truck is pulling right, particularly under acceleration. These are my alignment specs, I’m thinking to correct the pull, I’m thinking they should drop the caster on left right by ~0.4 to create a cross-caster situation. Am I thinking about this correctly or should I be looking at the camber?
20230826_151151.jpeg

Last edited:
You have a lot of caster in there and that’ll increase rubbing in front of the front wheel well. If you are hitting at the front much more than the back you could put the caster into a more neutral place and gain a little front clearance.

End of day +25s with your tire diameter need massaging to make work.
Thanks! I’ve massaged the front to clear and the rears are so incredibly close I honestly can tell if they’re touching, but there doesn’t appear to be any witness marks. See my comment above however about the pull I’ve gotten now.

Last edited:
It’s pretty easy to push that front plastic fender liner forward a good few inches. The rear of the fenderwell will probably involve a heat gun and removing the mudflaps.

I'm not sure of the answer, but that first pic is lustworthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom