New Traction Board option from Rotopax...shockingly not expensive! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
These popped up on a FB feed I follow. I dismissed them thinking they were going to be MaxTrax pricing. But, they are only $99 for 2 boards (introductory price, will go to $129 soon). Only black now with other colors coming. If you already own Rotopax, then these can be added using the add on mount. If you don't have Rotopax, then you have to factor in the cost of the base attachment points. Anyway, not affiliated at all and not advocating these....just thought it looked like a new exciting option for traction boards.

That’s interesting. I’m going to have to check these out.

Thanks i been meaning to pick up the cheap boards from Amazon but will consider these instead.

Was about to order but not with $30 shipping!

What the heck, I'll be a guinea pig...

ordered.

What the heck, I'll be a guinea pig...

ordered.

Do you already have Rotopax? If so, you should just need the extensions is all. If not, you'll need the mounting plates. Of course, you could always fab up your own mount like I've done with all my other traction boards.

Do you already have Rotopax? If so, you should just need the extensions is all. If not, you'll need the mounting plates. Of course, you could always fab up your own mount like I've done with all my other traction boards.

I've used them in the past, but have nothing that uses them currently.

I think I've already got some mounts & extensions (buried in the garage somewhere), but I may need their plate if I am going to use their system.

At the moment, I'm thinking either fab something, or purchase the plate, and mount on some 80/20 crossbars on the factory rack.

Glad I got a free pair from Ironman when I ordered my lift. Definitely a good thing to carry.

Can you help to link the mounting option that can be used on stock roof rack?

I was just checking these things out last night. Ordered. Thanks for the info.

Can you help to link the mounting option that can be used on stock roof rack?

My thoughts:
I could probably bend some sort of simple metal brackets, to go under the OE load bars, to bolt either of these Rotopax specific mounts to the OE load bars:​
Plus the latches and extensions:​
Or​
I could add/build/assemble/attach some 80/20 load bars to a factory rack, doing something like this thread:​
and eliminate the fabrication/scavenging of brackets. From there I could either use the Rotopax specific hardware (above), or use a combination of 80/20 hardware "T-Slot Studs"/"carriage bolts"/"eye nuts" and to cobble together a more generic solution.​
The advantage of using the Rotopax specific hardware, is the ability to carry Rotopax "packs" (water or gasoline) on the same mount(s), while the disadvantage would be cost.

I bought a set last week to add to my other generic trax set. I have a couple mounts around somewhere too. Noticed today that the page is completely removed from rotopax site . . . looks like a copyright issue if I was to guess.

I bought a set last week to add to my other generic trax set. I have a couple mounts around somewhere too. Noticed today that the page is completely removed from rotopax site . . . looks like a copyright issue if I was to guess.

Web page appears to be back up today :meh:

My set is in, in black color. Studded on the business side like the expensive trax. Very smooth on the 'down' side, with large lengthwise U shaped channels. Three handles embedded each side. Stack really good. Plastic is smooth and seems like a good mix of flexible to stiff. Weight is typical.

Aside from the 'down' side being so smooth the design seems solid. I'm going to watch to see if they go on sale again and probably get another set to make four so that my trax solution stacks better.

Would really like to see these in use. If they're of reasonable quality I'd jump on them. I already have a couple rotopax containers and mounts.

So I have four now. Mounting for two is just the dlx (not the basic, it won’t work) Mount. For four the 2ext Is not the solution. For six the 3ext will work. For four you use the dlx mount, and put 1 1/4 spacers between the plate and the mount. It’s a joke, every thing in the system works together but that. (And the fuel pax). rotopax is providing the spacers on request Gratis, just send them an email.
if you are stacking a 2 gal/4gal pax and 2 rtrax, use the 2ext. if stacking 2 gal/4gal and four, use 3ext.
i‘m making custom roof mount for the four trax. Recipe is yakima 23h Mighty mount , 3.5” 5/16 18, 1.75 5/16 18 coupler, and dlx handle (not Mount). This is about $35 per mount point, including the Aerobar Yakima adapter. Not cheap, but also not expensive, and the dlx knobs are by far the best clamp for easy on/off secure storage.

finally got some mounts completed and up on roof.

288F7F2E-BFA6-4DEC-8A8C-2D7147AF4401.jpeg

088EEDB6-8B41-4DD5-9D50-69CBB5F9F2AE.jpeg

DC940EA5-8183-4519-99AF-1E465824B1F1.jpeg

7EE39E6E-5F5B-4A4A-AC45-BBC0714FBF67.jpeg

Glad I got a free pair from Ironman when I ordered my lift. Definitely a good thing to carry.
I also got freebie ironman traction mats and have used them quite a lot in the snow: they work.

But!
the toxic green color is fugly. I'm considering the idea of buying a new set because I dislike how they look so much.
has anyone tried to paint them? I wonder if just hitting the sides would work well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom