New to the LX470 life; help me with a couple quick questions please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I'm a pretty new owner of a 2000 LX470. I'd like to outfit this sucker to go down mild to moderate trails/dirt. My AHC system has failed and thus keeps me in Low mode at all times (drives like a pile of bricks!) and I'd like to switch to a more traditional LC100-style suspension setup to escape this problem!

I don't have the funds for a full OME kit, so I've had my eye on Strutmasters conversion kit. As I understand, this will get me out of the "low slump" for about half a grand. However, this doesn't "add" any extra clearance, it just restores me to Normal mode. As for install, my local shop can swap the suspension, and they have suggested to me that I don't even bother removing ALL of the AHC components (globes, lines, etc) and just stick to removing what I simply have to in order to save hundreds on pulling it all out.

My current strategy I'm considering to squeeze some extra lift out of the vehicle is to buy some 30mm spacers (or 50mm) and then crank up the torsion bars to compensate in the front. Will this result in significant droop in the front? Are there important factors I am not considering? Please let me know.

You can leave most of the AHC components installed—they're an enormous pain to remove, and will cost you quite a bit in labor. Later on, it's a no-cost situation if you want to remove them yourself.

Weigh first of all weight and second that you said straight up you want to outfit the vehicle to do moderate trails and dirt roads.
The strutmaster kit is absolute crap, especially for what you want to do.
To save time and money in the long run just get OME rear springs with 4 shocks and get some used LC torsion bars.
If you do the Strutmaster kit I will guarantee that you are going to end up buying a propper suspension in less than what you expect.

On another note, what is that failed on your LX? Sensors? shock? pump?

I'd avoid the Strutmaster kit, paying $500 for the kit, only to toss it later is a waste of money. The Strutmaster kit is only rear coil springs and shocks, it doesn't address the fact that the AHC torsion bars aren't meant to support the full weight of the vehicle. You'd be better off with a pair of OME 865 springs ~$178 and OEM Toyota Land Cruiser shocks, but that's still a half assed solution without addressing the front torsion bars.

(The most economical solution would be to find a "take off" set of Toyota Land Cruiser springs and torsion bars and combine with some new shocks and maybe a coil spacer for the rear springs)

Strutmaster kit ~$499 (DANGER WILL ROBINSON, THIS IS A MISTAKE)
1998-2007 Lexus LX 470 4 Wheel Hydraulic Suspension Conversion Kit (TF14F) - Strutmasters

Basic OME kit ~$891.10
OME 100 Series Land Cruiser Medium Duty Suspension Kit

Talk to @TRAIL TAILOR about Tough Dog
Tough Dog

you can get new globes for 650 from pleides shipped or oem from ebay for 1k and then flush ahc fluid.. will ride better then after market suspension

here is a vid of the repair i found on youtube

Are you sure the system is dead. Rarely does the whole system just die. Have you already diagnosed the ahc?
Welcome Noah!
I'm with JayM, it could be a cheap sensor or something free that gets the ahc going. Adjusting the height sensors can get you some free lift too.

Just replaced my globes and have new fluid in my AHC system. She rides like an armchair again. Get your system evaluated by your local Toyota shop or one of your local Landcruiser enthusiasts. The AHC system is great when it is set up properly with all the components working. The biggest fault is usually the failure of the globes. I have done 460,000kms on the original set of globes so figured I have got my money's worth and do not begrudge replacing my globes. Sourced them out of the UK as was half the price of local Toyota dealer. Had the Toyota shop fit and set up everything to spec.

Weigh first of all weight and second that you said straight up you want to outfit the vehicle to do moderate trails and dirt roads.
The strutmaster kit is absolute crap, especially for what you want to do.
To save time and money in the long run just get OME rear springs with 4 shocks and get some used LC torsion bars.
If you do the Strutmaster kit I will guarantee that you are going to end up buying a propper suspension in less than what you expect.

On another note, what is that failed on your LX? Sensors? shock? pump?

I have yet to fully diagnose at a Toyota dealership. Will need to do that and get back to you gentlemen. Thanks for your help!

Just replaced my globes and have new fluid in my AHC system. She rides like an armchair again. Get your system evaluated by your local Toyota shop or one of your local Landcruiser enthusiasts. The AHC system is great when it is set up properly with all the components working. The biggest fault is usually the failure of the globes. I have done 460,000kms on the original set of globes so figured I have got my money's worth and do not begrudge replacing my globes. Sourced them out of the UK as was half the price of local Toyota dealer. Had the Toyota shop fit and set up everything to spec.
I see. With online diagnosing I've been rather shy to attempt to fix AHC as I see fixes costing (thousands) but I will need to investigate. From what I read so far, the flashing "Off" light is no bueno.

a strutmaster kit plus install at a shop will be more $$ than a basic lfit kit installed by you at home. There is porbably some Mudders in your area who would help you out for some beers and pizza

I see. With online diagnosing I've been rather shy to attempt to fix AHC as I see fixes costing (thousands) but I will need to investigate. From what I read so far, the flashing "Off" light is no bueno.
If you dig a little deeper into the "costing thousands" claims, usually there's a serious amount of neglect going on (running windshield washer or brake fluid in the system for 15 years) or it's just a knee-jerk quote from a dealer that doesn't know the system. The AHC is just a hydraulic system, not unlike your brakes or your power steering. There's not magic to it and the usual culprits are easy to identify and fix, in most cases.

I suggest investing in either Techstream or an OBD reader capable of displaying AHC information (I use the iCarsoft TYT II). This is a good investment beyond just AHC since it will read all Toyota specific codes and systems on all models. Once you have that, spend a few dollars on fresh AHC fluid and a weekend afternoon flushing it and adjusting the torsion bars to get within spec. A lot of the time, that's all it takes to get it running again. Worst case, your fluid is foamy and you need to replace some globes, which are consumables anyway. There could be something more going on but that tends to be rare.

Welcome !!

Pics or your LX doesn't exist!!!

:cheers:

531FBB0D-C5BE-456F-83B8-0CE0229B6272.jpeg

79B26601-D44F-49EA-A449-EB2B8A58CD48.jpeg

Great Color LX!

I suggest investing in either Techstream or an OBD reader capable of displaying AHC information (I use the iCarsoft TYT II).

That's great info! I didn't know about this and was scared to go the tech stream route with all the horror stories about getting it to work due windows 10, 64 bit, viruses when using with windows 10 etc.

First time I see this mentioned in all the AHC threads I was scouring for tips, for $150 I'll go that route to get a look into my pressures as I plan to keep AHC and just service it as needed.

Thanks!

Reactions: BEG
First time I see this mentioned in all the AHC threads I was scouring for tips, for $150 I'll go that route to get a look into my pressures as I plan to keep AHC and just service it as needed.
You need to practice your AHC thread scouring then ;) I’ve talked up the TYT for AHC stuff a few times (search says four to be exact) and if you’re not interested in measuring pressures via the ECU you can also use a temporary pressure gauge. Plenty of options.

Save your money and time and get decent lift kit.

My Lexus came with the Struatmaster kit installed and PO didn’t realize the torsion bars needed to be reclocked. He installed the kit and front was dropped on the ground. Kid got fed up and sold the truck to me cheap bc he didn’t know what do to next to fix the sagging front end.

I did the research and just reclocked the TB out and got the truck sitting nicely now. I’ve put 285/75/16 MT and been crawling lightly with it. The capability with these trucks in stock form will amaze you. I plan ordering OME TB soon to replace the stock LX TB and raising the front up to level the truck out. Leave the Strautmaster kit on for a bit and save for a Tough Dog suspension in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom