New to the Group - 78' FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my introduction
My Name is Brad from Clemmons, North Carolina
I just purchased 1978 FJ40 Dune Beige
This is my first FJ40
Ready to learn and contribute when I can.

IMG_5693.JPG

IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

IMG_5698.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome Brad-very nice rig, mine is a '78 too so I am a bit biased!!! If I may ask what type of rack is that on your rig?

I am pretty sure the previous owner bought the rack when he had it restored at Vintage Offroad. It is my understanding they build them custom.
FJ40, FJ45 & FJ55 Toyota Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and Unimogs Call 24/7 (313) 414-3540

Vintage... That explains why the bezel is upside down, the hood latches are black, your doors and hardtop are not correct for the year either. Please post up some under hood photos. Does the frame VIN match the data plate on the drivers A pillar? The grill badge is also early, not a 78 badge.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Try not to get discouraged by people pooping on your parade... that's a nice looking cruiser - enjoy it!

Very nice, Brad!! Welcome!!

This is my '78 Dune Beige... you can see the difference in your hardtop and mine... yours has wind-wings upfront... mine are toward the rear.

IMG_3900.JPG

My hood latches are black as well... don't care, as long as they latch.

Don't get down about criticism, that's a great looking truck.

Unfortunately, Vintage Offroad has a well-earned, bad rep... hope your truck is as sound as it looks on the outside... and that you didn't spend more that you should have.

Like @John Smith said, please post up some more pics of the inside, underside, underhood and whether VIN matches, between firewall (underhood) data plate, outside-passenger frame, between bumper and bib and on the door pillar.

Congratulations!!

EDIT: BTW Assuming your engine is a 2F, you can find the engine serial number on the passenger side of the block, between the distributor and the firewall... you can see where it fits in this list 2F serial number info...

That will at least tell you if it's a '78 engine.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Try not to get discouraged by people pooping on your parade... that's a nice looking cruiser - enjoy it!

Please don't confuse me with Turbo the comic dog. My intention is not to "poop" on his parade; but to point out some facts he probably wasn't aware of after purchasing a "restored" rig that came from the very well known and notorious Vintage. I'm long past tired of seeing people burned by Vintage year after year. I wouldn't put it past Vintage to put an early tub, hard top, and doors on a 78 frame. That is why I asked about the matching data tag on the A pillar. I'm going to guess the new owner may not even know there should be one there. I'll also point out the missing fasteners where the bib attaches to the front cross member. The bolts you need are M8x1.25x30mm and you can add a flat and split washer for a stock look.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I understand how this works and I appreciate the points that were made. I will try to address what I can so I can continue to learn.
1. I fixed the Bezel, I did not know that and don't want to be that guy.
2. I did know it had the incorrect top
3. I did not know the doors were wrong
4. I did know that is should have ambulance doors but it doesn't
5. I had no idea that vintage off road had issues, but the previous owner said he was not happy with the guy's attitude
6. I also know as you will see some of the emissions have been disabled, previous owner did that

I bought this a toy and know it was not a show truck and far from perfect but look forward to having some fun in it.

IMG_5722.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5711.JPG

IMG_5712.JPG

Welcome and nice rig.

FYI, check out the dizzy cap and don't leave the vent lines off. At the very least, cap both holes for now until you find the routing of the vent lines.

Drive that sucker and enjoy it!....I have mine sitting in front of my office right now. :)

Nice rig.

Thanks for the additional pictures! Your engine serial and the data plate on the tub indicate most probably a 11/78 manufacture date for your truck. I see you are missing the data plate from the A pillar, that would have given you the month & year of manufacture. If you like the early doors and top you may want to consider finding an original tailgate or rear doors and modifying the tub to work with them. That one piece bolt on lower panel will get get annoying trying to load and unload the rear.

You need to address some serious desmog issues ASAP. It appears your PCV is routed to atmosphere where the distributor intake should go. You're going to get a sludgy engine if you don't connect the PCV to your intake. Then you can hook up the distributor vent hoses correctly so you don't get an exploding distributor or a rusty one. There are many other issues with your desmog which need to be fixed, but I think the PCV is the most important right now.

If you can post up more pictures of your engine area we can better help you get your desmog in order.

Use this thread as a reference to how your desmog should look.
layout for 78 2F desmog

Please don't take anything I have told you in this thread as a personal criticism of you or your truck. I'm here to help you learn about your new purchase and inform you about and others about Vintage's business practices, which are well documented. It looks like you have a very nice rust free FJ40 that should bring you years of enjoyment.

Last edited:
The firewall vin plate dates the truck to November 1978 production, and the engine number appears to fit with that date (Per the info on SOR.COM ). Does the frame number match the firewall vin? The vin plate is missing from the drivers side a pillar, but it has the 75 and later style door stop mounted to the a pillar. You can add a loop of paracord from the door to the door stop holes to keep the door from hitting the fender and chipping the paint(don't ask me how I know). There should be two threaded holes inside the doors above the access hatch to mount the either metal handle or rubber handle (74 model door only). If you use the rear door handle to close the door it will cause it bend and then to rattle...
HTH,
Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom