New to the FJ60 world, come share my pain (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Familiar scene
image-1837798489.jpg
image-3196046689.jpg

Unfortunately, they are not a dime a dozen..

Unfortunately, they are not a dime a dozen..

Yeah I know. This will be my third purchase in five years. Well aware. :(

Stupid smog pump is definitely the Achilles heel of these trucks. No trail fix for this.

Idler is the fix if you live in a smog free zone.

Or gut the pump and replace the bearings so it "looks" legal.

I've gone through 3 ferd smog pumps in my 60 (ford motor) in the last 4 years. It's a serp belt so I feel your pain.

http://rebuildingfactory.com/

Unfortunately, their price is now about $250, but the only place that replaces both bearings AND the carbons.

Down the street from the big Harbor Freight in Camarillo.

I bet it would not that difficult to replace it with a GM unit. They seem to hold up very well.

Dyno

I did that to mine by replacing the motor ;)

Just got the truck back. Rebuilt smog pump. My core was unusable, darn. Had the oil changed while there. They also fixed the sources of my oil leaks. Turns out the side pan was leaking at the bottom and the speedometer seal was also leaking. All good now.

I also FINALLY scored an FJ62 4.11 3rd from Randy (88FJ62). Just gonna order up a locker and a complete bearing/seal kit for the rear. Then I can finally start working on this :p

Just a followup, the Smog pump core was destroyed so I got charged an additional $100. So rebuilt smog pump, core charge and labor and my wallet was $634.35 lighter. Oh well.

Now.... I need to on getting rid of the stink bug by lifting the front of the truck. Is the only way to do this is loading up sand bags in the rear or add-a-leaf in the front? I will attach some pics so you all can see how it sits but I am thinking the front needs to go up by about 3-4 inches.

Dynosoar and myself decided to take advantage of the Beno junkyard sale. Daddy needs a fifth gear.
image-189578350.jpg

I've heard Beno was havin a 'comengetit' sale!! She sure looks like a beaut! Hope the price was a good one on a combo....

Do yourself a favor and take the one on the left, that is unless you plan on rebuilding the right transfercase.

Do you mean Joey or I should take the one on the left? In my experience the outside has little to do with the inside. Besides they were both pressure washed before being palatalized.

Dyno

Besides, the one on the left looks like it might be a 34mm split case. The one in the right should be a 38.

In any case, I would reseal both units before installing them. It's $100 ( all OEM seals and gaskets ) well spent........

Georg @ valley hybrids

Ps: yes, you're gonna love the h55f. Best mod for a 60.

I guess I didn't specify who should take what.

It doesn't matter if you're planning on rebuilding the transfer case prior to installation, but I spy a drainback tube from the tcase to the transmission on the right unit. Those are only installed if either the transmission or transfer case is being overfilled, which would indicate that the seal between tranny and transfer has gone bad.

In any case, you'll both love the 5th gear. I was sad when I got rid of my H55, it's a great transmission.

I am happy to open the cases and rebuild them. A few hundred on bearings and seals is well worth the peace of mind.

Dyno

Is it just the pic, or are the two trans/tcase combos clocked differently?

My 4spd and transfer were "rebuilt" units. Dyno is going to be helping out on the install so I'm sure there will be plenty of parts to go around to make complete systems. Absolutely it will get fresh gaskets and seals. Without a doubt.

Georg, don't you have a toy that can go in there while I have it all out? I guess I need to check thru your threads.

I do a lot of freeway driving so I'm really really looking forward to that 5th gear. 50 mile commute round trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom