New To LC 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New owner, Tex here in DFW area if Texas. Multiple Toyota pick up , 4Runner owner over the years, never a Land Cruiser until recent. Mechanic, experimental aircraft builder, pilot, instructor, and novice machinist. Wat I can’t make, I know somebody to point me in the correct direction.

Sold 87 toyota SR5 Turbo, did straight 85 year front axle swap in 2000, 4 inch lift, longer rear axle springs, 5:29 Detroit locked, and later 2001 did a 3.4 v6 swap, with TRD supercharger, automatic A340H transmission/ transfer case, then swapped to A340F manual transfer case dual case Marlin Crawler. Ok, sold that truck after driving it 80k miles over 23 1/2 years.

Got my new girl, 1999 LC no lockers 379k miles in Easter weekend. My friend sent me the 4sale info and ended up buying one owner never in collision original owner. I always look at any vehicle before buying it. This one I didn’t… had my friend look
At it for me. We made a deal ans my friend gave the cash, and my friend drive it to me 200 miles away.

Well, hear we go labor of love. I can fix any mechanical thing that ever goes wrong with it. I hit it low enough in price I could afford to put money in it. Had new 33 BFG all terrain tires, looked good exterior. Interior seat cracks, and pealing wood trim in two places. Seats was not beet down, carpet good.

Every receipt from day one in a file. Get it home, engine miss fire one bad could cold engine. Oh no, no major engine valve issue at least. My 4Runner same engine swapped the coils runs good. Ok, got something to work with. Drive it, 11:30 -1:30 steering wheel to drive straight And It stinks in the garage. Ok, rack and pinion, and mount bushings. Order new yota rack, wasn’t that bad. Looked up how to change it, filthy underneath… pressure washed … and washed. Went to take the rack out, horrible inter tie rod ends, ok new with rack, lower and upper ball joints shot. Ok got upper arms and new lower joints, heck with it, new hi performance rotors, pads front and rear. New wheel hub bearings, cv axles, knuckle Rebush kits, sway bar kits, hubs for cv axles to wheel hub, ps lines, new alternator, and went after it.

Had Toyota like it up, and started driving. Drops of oil in my garage… remember filthy underneath. Oil leak, between engine and trans, and front of engine. Timing belt dry. Flywheel dry too.

Oring under the rear main oil seal retainer leaking I’m back, and oil pump o ring in front. I yanked the engine out… pressure wash the entire engine bay, trans , everything underneath. Then the engine…

disassemble the front, top, back of the engine.
Remove the oil pans, and screen to get oil pump
Off. Bore scope the engine, check valve clearance, remove starter, and start ordering parts.

Replace 3 shims for valve adjustment. New water pump kit, t belt, tensioners, crank cam seals, new oil pump Yota, start resealing it.

Order ever coolant hose, new yota, 10 heater hoses, t ees , new radiator, rad cap, fan clutch, Starter , ac compressor, drier kit, ps resivoir hose, trans front seal, front and rear transfer case bearings and seals. New ignition coils x8
Put it together

Pull transfer case, do the output seals and bearings

Go for rear brakes…

Well dif oil on brake pads.

Hear we go, yank axle out and start cleaning. New rear bearings, both axle seals inter outer, park brake shoes and hardware. Along with new stainless brake hoses , calipers, and hi performance rotors.

Now the stink is gone and no leaks!

Recover the front row and second row seats myself with new seat covers from Leather seats.com

Replace rear and front evaporator cores, and expansion valves, I have a recover / recycle machine.

Replace upper left door hinge
Tint front windows myself
New exterior door trim moldings at the glass
New interior door trim moldings against the glass in front two doors, in the middle of alpine speakers and door lock little motor install.
New shifter knob, and used recondition steering wheel,

Striped off and replace all new wood to lighter color

Replace oem radio with Kenwood hi end dvd cd head unit with oem amp with wireless Apple car play with dvdr cam, rear back up cam and hands free mobile.

Upgrades exterior 12,500 wench with TJM bumper and bumper was installed before. Front

New Slee rear bumper with swing outs
Rock sliders with steps on top
ARB roof rack coming soon on order
New Drawers for back , air down gear up.. they are sweet.

New 17 inch icon wheels satin black with new tires x5

Have new fender flares from overseas to replace mine that do not fit woozy cutting them with my new rear bumper. I have paint itching and need to replace the flares. In the process new side moldings, will be painted Satian black and white paint the side below the moldings… to the pitch welds white as the rest of the truck is still going on.

BFG warranty the new BFGs Ala Michelin for bad vibrations.. don’t care for that. 65-75

Next transfer case back out, part time 4x2, low range gears in transfer case, order today under drive gears. Plus 3 worn parts after opening it up deeper.

Next is lockers l…

I think across between Ox locker manual
Cable style , and Arb air = Tjm Pro locker no spinning seals to fail and just one actuator inside to engage and disengauge the locker. , simple and effective.

I said labor of LOVE. I do like driving it, hate the gas mileage tho.

My restoration .. project.

Now can you get a stated insurance policy amount on these ? Has anyone else done one?

Thanks

Tex

pic would be nice

pic would be nice

IMG_3267.jpeg

AF1918D9-6E64-4EAB-9F94-68EEAA43D850.jpeg

IMG_2956.jpeg

IMG_2918.jpeg

40FF3745-1B1A-4021-BE77-220A1B196720.jpeg

Welcome to mud. From the maintenance you did, this good for another 300k miles. Amazing job!

Welcome to mud. From the maintenance you did, this good for another 300k miles. Amazing job!
Thanks, a work in progress. Before the upgrades wench, rear bumper, steering wheel, audio system, wheels, rock sliders, roof rack, just the mechanical things I was around 12k invested. My 150-200 hrs labor was sweet equity and learning the vehicle.

One thing about Slee they make quality items! But like my off road dirt bike, using Touratech aftermarket parts, you will not spend more anywhere else! Happy with everything from Slee. I also did their front dif drop ans full skid plates front to rear. Now there center skid replaces the oem crossmember, It’s heavy !

Intention occasional daily driver, and Colorado off road in the summer. Like BDR routes for the adventure bikes. One last trip was 4800 miles and gone 26 days and camped 18 on our bikes.

Drive this 150k to the end of my life time of outside adventures.

I'm Brian, and I'm a LandCruiserolic... Welcome to the Club!

I'm Brian, and I'm a LandCruiserolic... Welcome to the Club!
Or welcome the addition !

Yesterday, I ordered the underdrive gears for the transfer case.

Today I order lockers front and back,TJM Pro Lockers with a duel compressor.

More OT !

Or welcome the addition !

Yesterday, I ordered the underdrive gears for the transfer case.

Today I order lockers front and back,TJM Pro Lockers with a duel compressor.

More OT !
I hear you guys, when I built my truck 23 years ago this was less money for sure.

This is the final mod far as the drive train, I need to get done. With IFS, I try lines I use to do in my truck only yo find out … maybe that was not a good idea.
Hope lockers will help prevent me from having it Turtle, and can’t move. Hopefully the under drive, low gears in the transfer case and part time kit will help the overall performance enough to not have to re gear. I was use to an auto double case crawler, double locked, straight front axle light pickup with nearly 290 HP supercharged engine. Plenty of power and able to crawl.

This is a much nicer rig for sure. Comfy, versatile built for distance. You just can’t compare the two machines.

If I lift it any more it will not clear my door in my shop or my main garage door to the house. So that part is done. Relatability is what I am after and have a vintage truck to be proud to own.

Get some minor paint work done, and paint the trim as planned hopefully it will catch eyes and appraise for enough to cover my investment if a total loss, if I can get a stated policy issued.

I hear you guys, when I built my truck 23 years ago this was less money for sure.

This is the final mod far as the drive train, I need to get done. With IFS, I try lines I use to do in my truck only yo find out … maybe that was not a good idea.
Hope lockers will help prevent me from having it Turtle, and can’t move. Hopefully the under drive, low gears in the transfer case and part time kit will help the overall performance enough to not have to re gear. I was use to an auto double case crawler, double locked, straight front axle light pickup with nearly 290 HP supercharged engine. Plenty of power and able to crawl.

This is a much nicer rig for sure. Comfy, versatile built for distance. You just can’t compare the two machines.

If I lift it any more it will not clear my door in my shop or my main garage door to the house. So that part is done. Relatability is what I am after and have a vintage truck to be proud to own.

Get some minor paint work done, and paint the trim as planned hopefully it will catch eyes and appraise for enough to cover my investment if a total loss, if I can get a stated policy issued.
By the way,

A big howdy from Tex and thanks for the welcome.
If I can help answer a question about anything I have done to help don’t hesitate to ask.

I do what I can to help.
Ton of work. Nice job 👍

Are you doing conventional oil? Or synthetic?
synthetic only .. I just use Mobile 1 oils

BTW, we aren’t far apart, so if you ever need a tool or a hand don’t hesitate to reach out.

BTW, we aren’t far apart, so if you ever need a tool or a hand don’t hesitate to reach out.
Kewl, good to know.

I was an auto shop owner , and frock driver hit my customers car and I was in the right seal. They had to cut me out of the car and spent two years walking again. I became a pilot, went to work for an airline and now check airman for that airline.

Back when I was a starving pilot, I started building experimental airplanes and worked on airplanes in my hanger I owed part of. Change is position at work I no longer had time to work on the side and sold my part of the hanger.

I stay active working on motorcycles , cars ect .. and own lathe and mill. You never know what small part need something or drill / make a part.

Yeah extra hand and or mind sure can be useful.

Here is my last completed airplane I did for a client.
Took me 2 1/2 year to get flying and another to fly the time off to carry passengers and get the paint work done.

This Land Cruiser has been keeping me busy since april. I am about to to rec the transfer case parts and get that together and May dove straight into the lockers. I like to get the paint shop work finished to complete the exterior stuff.

While awaiting the parts to arrive, for the door panels off changing the door lock actuator motors.
And replace the speaker with some Alpine speakers. They should arrive Monday.

How far are you away from Haslet ?

Alway nice to cuss and discuss stuff.

Take care

G night , Tex

IMG_4470.jpeg

IMG_3215.jpeg

Nice RV-7. I retired from the USAF in 2013, and have worked in F-35 operational test ever since. Owned 5 airplanes over the years and currently a Civil Air Patrol squadron commander, but my last flight was over Kabul in 2013. Just haven’t had the time.

I’m in Azle.

Nice RV-7. I retired from the USAF in 2013, and have worked in F-35 operational test ever since. Owned 5 airplanes over the years and currently a Civil Air Patrol squadron commander, but my last flight was over Kabul in 2013. Just haven’t had the time.

I’m in Azle.
Oh sweet…

I get up ans have a 5:30 show in the morning. Love to get together and talk airplanes and cruisers

G night

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom