This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting close to my wits end here and I need the bright lights of the forum to steer me true. AND- before you ask, yes, I have called/emailed Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. They only deal in OME stuff now so can't really help beyond advice, which was of course very helpful.

I have an '84 FJ60 sitting on stock springs and OEM shocks with a 1" shackle lift (2" longer shackle). I'm running 31" tires. Apart from some rear end sag from my tired springs, I love the current stance of the truck. I do not need, nor do I want, more lift as I use the truck for easy OHV trails and camping but also occasionally around town.

My issue- I don't want to go to 33" tires as I don't want to deal with adjusting gearing and I feel like 31s on a OME, Ironman, or Terrain Tamer lift will look a little silly. Am I wrong? OME is right out because of the height, but Ironman and Terrain Tamer are 50mm right, so 1.9". Anyone run 31s on this lift? The pics I've seen all have 33s and look great which leads me to believe that 31s will look like crap.

I have taken a look at the SOR Grocery Getter (GG) but its $1600. That seems like a lot considering an OME is about $1100.

Questions- Any other options for stock height springs other than SOR? What about an add a leaf (AAL)? Would this refresh my tired springs or is it more of a stop gap measure? My springs, especially the rears, are pretty old/flat and probably need replacement.

In an ideal world, I would run the GG springs with some longer anti-inversion shackles from Man-A-Fre and maintain my current set up but with all new gear underneath but this would end up being $2000 with all the shipping costs. It's not a huge deal for the extra spend, it just feels I'd be getting ripped off. I'm also going to pay a local off road shop to put it in so the costs would really start to add up.

Additionally, what about a steering stabilizer. I see that Cool Cruisers of Texas sells a stand alone stabilizer under their HFS brand for about $100. The idea behind this is to reduce the shimmy at highway speeds right? Effective? Needed for about a 1" lift? I do get a good amount of shimmy over 65 mph, so I would like to go down that road if it makes sense.

Thanks in advance. I've been debating/researching this for about six months and am no closer to a solution and I'm ready to pull the trigger so it's agonizing.

Terrain taer and 31's and dont look back. My 2 cents.

I run 31s with OME heavy duty. Here's a pic from before I installed the 4plus bumpers

image.jpeg

I have OME medium kit which supplies about 2" of lift.
Prior to the new suspension I had 31" Michelin tires which needed to be replaced but I left them on and did the lift first to see how 31" tires look. I was quite happy so I put 31" BFGs on. I think they look good. Between the suspension, new tires and a rebuilt steering gearbox, this thing steers like a Porsche.
OK, note really, but driving down the highway at 70 MPH is sweet.
I'll try to post some pictures if I can ever find my teenage kids, who are currently driving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom