New steering gear doesn't seem right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced steering gear with a remanufactured unit. It has taken the slop out of steering completely but the effort is considerably higher than previously. Not sure if it just needs to break in or if there is something wrong. Thoughts?

Looks like the FSM has a torque spec for how much effort it should take to turn the wheel, 8.3 Nm. Guess I'll start with that.

I have new 6 miles on oe pump with box dated 1-19-2017 couldn't return pump cuz was used pm me if needed . Don't try rebuilding the gear box yes over 2 grand for new an reman s are like 300.00. Try the adjust nut on top but tight is good how tight could be a problem tho. Might be a good thing, if it's to tight I believe it wil blow seal.

Who installed? check u joints an rag joint for binding. Most people Co plain of opsite to loose. Could b pre-load of bearing. Check linkage an knuckles also. An if a reman I wouldn't touch it or try a other one pre-load makes it tight.

There's some bomb aas writes ups on gear box build up an holding balls wit grease

The pump has regulator or pressure fitting dialed for each pump also that's the threaded portion that the line attaches too . I learned the hard way an from slee don't fix wit the pumps buy a new one

DId you bleed all the air out of it properly?

With the wheels OFF THE GROUND, and engine OFF, turn lock to lock SLOWLY about 100 times.

Then do the same thing with engine runnig until it stops growling and the oil level stops changing.

Definitely make sure its bled and or no air bubbles in the reservoir.

I would check the adjustment screw up on top of the steering box itself. It adjusts preload in the gear. It takes a 17mm box end wrench to loosen it the lock nut. Then use a flat head screwdriver to turn the screw counter clockwise. Try with half turn increments and see if that helps. Remember to tighten the 17mm lock nut before starting the vehicle.

Have you contacted the company you bought the steering gear from?

Some of them are stiffer than others in my experience. The valve spool assembly thingamajig is a precision piece so it makes sense to me that there would be some deviation from one to the other. If the screw on top is too tight then that will just cause binding without benefit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom