New Splitcase adapter kit option from Axis Industries (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisermatts.com
I haven't seen this advertised anywhere so I figured I'd pass it on - Axis Industries, who's been making all the Cummins R2.8 adapters, just put out this kit to use the 60-series splitcase behind 23-spline Jeep transmissions, like the NSG370, NV3550, even autos like the 8-speeds that come behind the newer Hemi's and mini-diesels. TR4050 too which looks like a very nice transmission. Additionally, I'd wager this should work behind a Dodge Gas-version (23 spline output) Nv4500 without having to mod the transmission, unlike the AA kit that replaces the tailhousing.

Anyways, just thought I'd pass it along, they seem to make nice products

100517-Front__62226.1578692536.jpg
100517-Rear__39394.1578692484.jpg
splitcaseadapter.png
splitcase6speed.png
tr4050.png

Two other nice features of this are that you can remove the transfer case from the transmission without full disassembly, and it's clock-able which is a huge benefit!!

This NSG370 6-speed is very intriguing. 4.5:1 1st gear and 0.83:1 OD 6th, almost the same as H55f but with an extra gear to create a tight ratio spread from 2nd to 4th. I bet it shifts nicer too. 1-1/8" input shaft, same as a H42/H55f so Land Cruiser flywheel, clutch etc could be retained, starter pocket is even in the same place. So it just needs a adapter plate and pilot bearing solution. Also seems to be readily available inexpensively. Could be a really nice alternative to an H55 behind a 3FE or 2F in a 60. I know, blasphemy on this forum, right?

This NSG370 6-speed is very intriguing. 4.5:1 1st gear and 0.83:1 OD 6th, almost the same as H55f but with an extra gear to create a tight ratio spread from 2nd to 4th. I bet it shifts nicer too. 1-1/8" input shaft, same as a H42/H55f so Land Cruiser flywheel, clutch etc could be retained, starter pocket is even in the same place. So it just needs a adapter plate and pilot bearing solution. Also seems to be readily available inexpensively. Could be a really nice alternative to an H55 behind a 3FE or 2F in a 60. I know, blasphemy on this forum, right?
Nothing wrong with thinking outside the Toyota box

Having driven an AX-15 and and NSG370, both in wranglers, the NSG370 feels like its internals are made of plastic. It felt like shifting a bad economy car, but I can't say how much of that was the shifter and how much was the transmission itself, but I've seen a lot more complaints from owners than not. I'm not a fan of that gearbox.

Meanwhile, the AX-15 is just an R151f (+/- some specifics and model digits) made by Aisin to bolt into a jeep. That makes me think this adapter could be used with creative bellhousing choices to put a newer minitruck/taco/tundra/etc. engine in front of a split case with a manual for a LOT less money than any other option I've seen available these days.

EDIT: no AX-15 apparently. Aw.

I don't think you'll get much static from the purists over some really solid transmission options.

Having driven an AX-15 and and NSG370, both in wranglers, the NSG370 feels like its internals are made of plastic. It felt like shifting a bad economy car, but I can't say how much of that was the shifter and how much was the transmission itself, but I've seen a lot more complaints from owners than not. I'm not a fan of that gearbox.

Meanwhile, the AX-15 is just an R151f (+/- some specifics and model digits) made by Aisin to bolt into a jeep. That makes me think this adapter could be used with creative bellhousing choices to put a newer minitruck/taco/tundra/etc. engine in front of a split case with a manual for a LOT less money than any other option I've seen available these days.

EDIT: no AX-15 apparently. Aw.

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can find one to test drive. The only issue with this adapter working with a AX15 is single bearing or seal dimensional issue according to Axis so maybe it can be overcome. AX15 should be fairly simple to adapt to 2F/3F as well as it also has the same input shaft. However I don't see the AX15 as a upgrade over an H55f behind a Cruiser motor besides the shift quality being better.

Ok, so next question is how do you get an 8HP70 8 speed auto to adapt to a 3FE or 2F!?!?

I know I'd be interested.

Cool product, it's great to see companies coming up with new products and support for LC's

Ok, so next question is how do you get an 8HP70 8 speed auto to adapt to a 3FE or 2F!?!?

I know I'd be interested.

Cool product, it's great to see companies coming up with new products and support for LC's

Bolting them together is simple! it's just a metal plate with a bunch of holes in the right spots, and making sure torque converter engagement is correct while adapting it to a 3FE flexplate. :)

Making it run and shift properly, zero idea!

That gear spread would make it way nicer to drive. More shifting with less rpm drop.

It would be nice if someone made a better overdrive gear for an H55 so that FJ62 owners didn't have to run larger tires and/or 3.73s to keep the revs down.

It would be nice if someone made a better overdrive gear for an H55 so that FJ62 owners didn't have to run larger tires and/or 3.73s to keep the revs down.

Yeah, it’s called a NV4500 :lol:

There’s a reason for H55f ratio is what is. After about 75mph the 2F/3FE really doesn’t have the power to cruise at a lower RPM. I tried.

Which is exactly why an 8-speed makes no sense.

No necessarily, what’s the top gear ratio on the 8 speed auto? Not that it matters, I’m sure no one is going to do it anyways

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Been scratching my head on transmission options lately for an eventual engine swap. The TR4050 looks like a great option, but $3700 isn't exactly attractive... I'm also not near ready to accept that the NSG370 is suited for real use in a heavy wagon.

If my neighbor would give in and come off of one of the mid 2000's 2500HD's with 6.0/NV4500's he has sitting behind his pond there would be no further head scratching. Maybe I should tell his wife what they're worth 🤔. They are getting harder to come by and the factory LS setup even harder to find..

Someone needs to find something for a ZF6. I really liked the one I had in my '06 Ford.

Last edited:
An NV4500 in a 60 requires a body lift, doesn't it?

And my FJ62 with 31x10.5s will cruise easily at 75 (on flat ground) at 7000' elevation in the steep overdrive of the A442 automatic. I don't want to put in an H55 and have it scream.

Someone needs to find something for a ZF6. I really liked the one I had in my '06 Ford.

GM version ZF6 out of a Duramax or 8.1 truck bolts right to a LS using the 6.0 clutch and flywheel. Good luck finding one.

An NV4500 in a 60 requires a body lift, doesn't it?

And my FJ62 with 31x10.5s will cruise easily at 75 (on flat ground) at 7000' elevation in the steep overdrive of the A442 automatic. I don't want to put in an H55 and have it scream.

Why would a Nv4500 need a body lift? Not sure where you got that from

And yeah, because you have 31” tires and 4.11’s. Deep gearing and low rotational weight.
3FE could barely push my wagon at sea level in 5th gear with the NV4500 with 35’s /4.11’s. With 31’s it was completely fine, but who wants 31” tires :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom