New rear tire carrier Westcott designs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I picked up a Westcott designs hitch mounted tire carrier. Jeff Westcott personally supervised the fitting of the carrier and explained how it worked.

The carrier is strong and rattle free. The D/S tray can be removed and a second spare tire can be fitted . There are mounting points for three Rotopax.

There is a built in fold down table that will be very handy while camping. The tray can fit four jerry cans or a large cooler or anything you can mount to it.

Since I have a 40 gallon aux fuel tank I don't need to carry extra fuel anymore but the tray will come in handy for carrying water.

IMG_20200103_153054959_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200103_153135459_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200103_153219553_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200104_152059743_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200106_114137941_HDR.jpg

I also looked at the Wlico Off Road tire carrier. The Wico has everything on one swing out arm. The cargo rack is mounted over the tire. That requires anything to be lifted over your head to get up there. Not very easy with a heavy cooler or cargo box. Also hard t get into without a step ladder.
The gas/water cans are also mounted high up.
The rear window is also blocked.

The Wescott carrier has a cradle the tire fits into. Due to the low height, it is easy to get the tire in the cradle. One method is to roll the tire over one of the support arms into the cradle.

This looks great. Any idea how much it weighs? how was the install? is it tricky to fit?

This looks great. Any idea how much it weighs? how was the install? is it tricky to fit?
I was told it weighs 105 lbs. Installation is just sliding it in the receiver hitch.

Yeah, even with moderate trail use that thing would either get bent or depart the vehicle. Nice idea, and maybe if it had a 12" riser it could be useful but that would put it into the drop down gate. Also it looks like it's blocking the rear parking sensors.

There may be no hills in Texas.? Ive seen a fair share of paved driveways that would probably hit that.

I agree, even the simple sort of forest service roads would be sliding on that thing all day... which is probably fine. If its strong enough, just drag the SOB over things.

$1700? Can almost get a bumper for that, no?

Love your white 200 on black steelies! Tire size? Lift?

$1700? Can almost get a bumper for that, no?

Love your white 200 on black steelies! Tire size? Lift?

A Slee bumper is $4,000.00. OME lift and 275/70/18 BFG KM3s

A Slee bumper is $4,000.00. OME lift and 275/70/18 BFG KM3s
An ARB rear with one swingout is ~$2400. So you're getting close. But everyone has different requirements and different needs. It seems like the Westcott suits yours fine. If everyone bought and installed the same s***, this forum would be a much more boring place...

An ARB rear with one swingout is ~$2400. So you're getting close. But everyone has different requirements and different needs. It seems like the Westcott suits yours fine. If everyone bought and installed the same s***, this forum would be a much more boring place...

Yes $2400.00 with only one swing out not including installation. Installing the Westcott requires just slipping it into the receiver.

Yes $2400.00 with only one swing out not including installation. Installing the Westcott requires just slipping it into the receiver.
2400 and then I would have to have a cooler basket designed another 500, at least, I did that with my 80 with a Kaymar rear pumper. I am on 38 and no issue on departure angles. I have 35s and 3 inch lift on my 200, so this would work great and I could let a friend borrow it....and keep it for my next truck.. It is a great idea.
Your truck looks great! Thank you for posting this, because I was thinking about getting a rear bumper with a tire carrier and think building a cooler holder.

I picked up a Westcott designs hitch mounted tire carrier. Jeff Westcott personally supervised the fitting of the carrier and explained how it worked.

The carrier is strong and rattle free. The D/S tray can be removed and a second spare tire can be fitted . There are mounting points for three Rotopax.

There is a built in fold down table that will be very handy while camping. The tray can fit four jerry cans or a large cooler or anything you can mount to it.

Since I have a 40 gallon aux fuel tank I don't need to carry extra fuel anymore but the tray will come in handy for carrying water.

View attachment 2177721

View attachment 2177722

View attachment 2177723

View attachment 2177724

View attachment 2177729
This looks sweet! I've been looking for a hitch carrier with table and cooler tray for cleaning and storing fish after spearfishing. I like the idea of keeping everything out of the cruiser. Do you have any lower side pics to show how low it sits from the hitch? My receiver is already pretty low, and from your shots it looks like the Wescott sits even lower. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom