Builds New project, 1969 fj40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Turns out the hazard switch works, makes some of the lights blink.
The front left, which stays on when the turn signal switch is used, doesn’t come on at all with the hazard switch.
the rear left stays on with the signal switch and blinks with the hazard switch.
The right rear doesn’t come on with the signal or hazard switch.
The right front stays on with the signal switch, blinks with the hazard switch.

The bib spacers are supposed to be there!
After you and Nolen mentioned it, I looked it up. Boy do I feel dumb. These were clearly replacing the stock pieces, which were in fact supposed to be there.
I figured you were trolling me.
Oops.

After you and Nolen mentioned it, I looked it up. Boy do I feel dumb. These were clearly replacing the stock pieces, which were in fact supposed to be there.
I figured you were trolling me.
Oops.

You might check out the link in my signature line sometime. ;)

You might check out the link in my signature line sometime. ;)
I don’t see any signatures. I have to change a setting somewhere I guess.
I don’t have a computer, the phone layout is a little cramped sometimes.

Turn your phone sideways and the signatures and such show up.

Nice Cruiser!

Started to try and get down to the blue with lacquer thinner and purple scotchbrite.

41704B10-026C-4400-906F-5A950E02FBF5.jpeg

D003DE87-5AEF-4980-9885-467EDE08027B.jpeg

Ran out of lacquer thinner. I tried zep oven cleaner but it didn’t do anything. Maybe it has to be easy off.

6A66CA3E-40B8-4D00-9A67-B80EE00F08CB.jpeg

B0B76B35-BC26-4CE0-A7BF-B3E054F1076E.jpeg

I think it's trial and error. Success and method seem to vary, depending on the prep done for the paint job. I bet my wife and I have 100 hours into getting back to the original paint on our 40, and we haven't started the inside of the tub. It's definitely a labor of love! Keep trying in hidden spots and hopefully you'll find the secret for that truck!

I'm inspired by your work @projectTuRD - I'm wanting to take off some cheap paint from areas of my truck. The front bib was painted white at somepoint, but I can see the original yellow underneath in a couple of places.

I used EZOff under the hood and it was too much, took it down to the red primer, unless the hood was originally red, which is entirely possible).
I've had good luck with aircraft stripper for removing serious over spray on my headlight buckets. It removed some of the cadmium plating, but the chrome on headlight rights was completely unaffected. But it may be too strong and could take off ALL the paint. I'll the Scotchbrite and thinner first.

Definitely a LABOR of love.

I am quite partial to the round front turn signals on the 69's but that is only because that is what I have. I had the same hole in the floor boards especially under the driver's seat.

I am quite partial to the round front turn signals on the 69's but that is only because that is what I have. I had the same hole in the floor boards especially under the driver's seat.
Apparently 1969 was a bit of a changeover year. Early ones seem to have round signals, later, rectangle.

Apparently 1969 was a bit of a changeover year. Early ones seem to have round signals, later, rectangle.
yeah it makes trying to find the correct parts a little tricky

And I have around 100 hours in stripping po primer to get to the original beige. My best method was automotive lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and using a stiff brush and lots of 0000 steel wool and rags. I wonder why they always want to spray Grey primer on everything. Actually I believe some of my gray was some sort of an industrial spray paint

And I have around 100 hours in stripping po primer to get to the original beige. My best method was automotive lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and using a stiff brush and lots of 0000 steel wool and rags. I wonder why they always want to spray Grey primer on everything. Actually I believe some of my gray was some sort of an industrial spray paint
I bought a spray bottle just to try this out. I waste a lot pouring it onto the scotchbrite pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom