New oil leak, what did I break? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the PCV and grommet this evening with OEM parts.

Blew out the hoses, they didn't seem bad at all. Carb end of the PCV hose split, so it will be replaced soon, but is serviceable for now.

Noticed the air filter was about 50% saturated with oil when I pulled it. Didn't grab one, so I'll replace that soon.

Pressure gauge seems more stable, probably in my head. I'll keep an eye on it during my commute tomorrow.

I'm still very confused by the dipstick. When cold, I don't see anything. When hot, the whole thing is coated. When I pulled it while running, I was getting some exhaust out of the tube (seen it in the fill port as well). Next project maybe.
Hmmm...I'm by no means an expert but I had this exact same issues. The case pressure even blew the dipstick out of the tube while driving down the road. Had a hell of a mess on the passenger side of the engine compartment. What I did learn is I had serious blow by which can point to worn rings. The funny thing is the engine ran great through all this. Again...I had 350k on the odometer so it made sense that I had worn rings. The saturated air filter, case pressure and clear PCV line is not a good sign. You have some really smart Cruiser folks on hear and they can give you some solid advice.

Hmmm...I'm by no means an expert but I had this exact same issues. The case pressure even blew the dipstick out of the tube while driving down the road. Had a hell of a mess on the passenger side of the engine compartment. What I did learn is I had serious blow by which can point to worn rings. The funny thing is the engine ran great through all this. Again...I had 350k on the odometer so it made sense that I had worn rings. The saturated air filter, case pressure and clear PCV line is not a good sign. You have some really smart Cruiser folks on hear and they can give you some solid advice.

Cleaned everything up this evening. Found a few drips once I got back home.

It looks like oil is dripping from a pinhole in the PS rear bottom of the air cleaner housing. That explains why oil was everywhere.

This raises 2 concerns. First, I'm guessing that hole shouldn't be there. Second, why am I pumping a quart/week (minimum) into my air cleaner? Seems to be ongoing with the new PCV installed as well.

Still seeing a lot of smoke coming from the crankcase/valve cover when I add or check oil.

nope, but stay away from hills...

Other than the crap gas mileage and loss of power, any issue driving it for the rest of the week?
You can drive it as long as you keep the filter clean, oil in it and it runs. As I mentioned above, my sons 60 ran really well. Unfortunately we had the exact same issues your experiencing. We had a low mileage 2F so we threw it in his ride. I only know these things cause I did a similar post to yours a few months back and most these folks gave me the same feedback they're giving you. Not sure of your willingness to do the swap, but you can either do a rebuild or source a good running motor. It's not a bad job if you have the room and a few days.

nope, but stay away from hills...

Roger that! Fairly easy in Houston, with the exception of overpasses.

You can drive it as long as you keep the filter clean, oil in it and it runs. As I mentioned above, my sons 60 ran really well. Unfortunately we had the exact same issues your experiencing. We had a low mileage 2F so we threw it in his ride. I only know these things cause I did a similar post to yours a few months back and most these folks gave me the same feedback they're giving you. Not sure of your willingness to do the swap, but you can either do a rebuild or source a good running motor. It's not a bad job if you have the room and a few days.

I appreciate the help. Browsing classifieds here and on PBB. Debating a 2F, or upgrade. Money IS an issue....a big one. So is time as this is my DD.

piece a pie. just slap a new (whatever is broke) in there and drive on. It's only grease weight and sweat. maybe a few bucks too but leave enough for a beer when you're done. one nut at a time...option one is a used runner, which I've done in my 55, and in the fj62...both times great results for the cost...On the 55 I was able to trade work for a 2F refresh; the 62s used runner is still bangin, aaaaand I got ANOTHER used runner for it waitin in the garage, just like a spare carb...option 2 is a rebuild with bigger holes and new slugs...alot of people will say it;s a waste of money, but I like my old straight 6ers...maybe I just like to waste money.

FYI- and at risk of being flamed...I've scored 3 almost 100% complete runners for 500 each over the years...a couple came with transmissions.

FYI- and at risk of being flamed...I've scored 3 almost 100% complete runners for 500 each over the years...a couple came with transmissions.

I hate you...

My luck tends to run the other way. For example this 60 I recently bought...

I was trying to give you some hope, I've been at the wall and my head still hurts...when you wanna get better you play a harder game...check your local CL, scour the ih8mud classifieds- that is where I found every one of those rigs I refer to...it's almost easier to find specific things the way the website is these days- ALMOST...find your local cruiser guys. hit the oldest darkest carquest or napa or even good ol bobs parts store nearby and ask who has a landcruiser...you prolly won't have to try too hard...A guy hit me up while I was putting fix a flat in a tire on my rig and asked me if i wanted a landcruiser engine. I didn't believe his honda ass and said what size, he said 4.2 2F carb to pan...I said how much, he said 700. I got his number but didn't get that motor...beat the bushes. get creative. If you have a skill to offer, you could find a machinist who needs what you do...it sounds like you got bigger fish to fry anyway cause even if that motor is fine, you'd still have to fix those brakes. It can get overwhelming at times. the first thing to do when that happens is to Step back, and take a deep breath. First thing after you get calm is to make a priorities list and set defined goals. first thing after that is the first thing you have at the top of your list....

Roger that! Fairly easy in Houston, with the exception of overpasses.

I appreciate the help. Browsing classifieds here and on PBB. Debating a 2F, or upgrade. Money IS an issue....a big one. So is time as this is my DD.
Ah ha...maybe time for a diesel conversion :). That's how I ended up with a spare 2F for my youngest sons 60.

I was trying to give you some hope, I've been at the wall and my head still hurts...when you wanna get better you play a harder game...check your local CL, scour the ih8mud classifieds- that is where I found every one of those rigs I refer to...it's almost easier to find specific things the way the website is these days- ALMOST...find your local cruiser guys. hit the oldest darkest carquest or napa or even good ol bobs parts store nearby and ask who has a landcruiser...you prolly won't have to try too hard...A guy hit me up while I was putting fix a flat in a tire on my rig and asked me if i wanted a landcruiser engine. I didn't believe his honda ass and said what size, he said 4.2 2F carb to pan...I said how much, he said 700. I got his number but didn't get that motor...beat the bushes. get creative. If you have a skill to offer, you could find a machinist who needs what you do...it sounds like you got bigger fish to fry anyway cause even if that motor is fine, you'd still have to fix those brakes. It can get overwhelming at times. the first thing to do when that happens is to Step back, and take a deep breath. First thing after you get calm is to make a priorities list and set defined goals. first thing after that is the first thing you have at the top of your list....

Solid advice. Too many projects and not enough time/money. Need to consolidate a bit, then I'll start shopping.

Thanks.

Its official, bad ring on one cylinder.

Going to keep driving for now and just top off oil as needed. Is there anything I can do to keep the oil out of the air filter housing? Or just clean up on a regular basis.

Man John, I hate to hear that. I would imagine you can keep managing the filter but I'd wait and see what the other folks say. I know you're not in a position to do anything in the near future but any thoughts on your long term plans? If you were closer I'd help you swap in a new/used motor. I know there are a lot of good MUD folks in the Houston area and should be able to network and possibly find a good fix for your drivetrain.

Buying a runner from Jason @ Cruiser Yard. Most likely going to have it installed at Javier's here in town.

Seems like the thing to do. I appreciate the help guys.

Buying a runner from Jason @ Cruiser Yard. Most likely going to have it installed at Javier's here in town.

Seems like the thing to do. I appreciate the help guys.
Javier is a good dude. He does great work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom