For Sale New member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys and ladies I am a new member to the Fj family and so far it’s been pretty exciting. I just bought a 1978 fj40 with a Chevy 5.7 vortec, 4 inch spring over lift, and running all stock running gear and on 37s.

Now to buisiness I have a question on the sequence of how to strip down the whole front end on it, I want attempt to try and re align the panels to line up some what straight.

Wrong section, you're in the classifieds. Go to the forum's tech section 40 and 45.

Here is my write up when I reassembled mine. Hope this helps. When I click edit, I can see the pics, but photobucket no lo

How to fit the front end without going insane!!!

I posted up a separate question on the order for front end assembly. The concensus was bib, fenders, Apron, Hood. Well I tried that for a day, and gave up.

Then I sat down and studied what was important for alignment, and what I was having the most trouble with (CCOT fenders), and decided a different approach was needed.

The thing most important to me was the hood and apron alignment with the bib. I mounted the bib (Loosely) and started by using C clamps, and clamping the aprons onto the body. (with the spacers in place) Then I attached them to the bib with the 2 top bolts (TIGHT), aligning the top of the apron to the bib.

DSCN2770.jpg

Next, I mounted the hinges to the hood, and mounted the hood, aligning the sides and front of the hood with the bib and aprons.

Now I tightened the bib to the bib hinge, and to the frame

Tightened Hood to tub.

Next I put the 2 bolts into the frame for the bottom fender slots to hold the fender up, stood the fender in place, and attached the 4 apron bolts to the fender. I tightened the 4 apron bolts only, leaving the bottom rear fender bolts loose.

Now I put the other 2 bolts from the bib to the fenders, (TIGHT) I had to drill the fender corner hole. The CCOT fender hole was a full hole off.

DSCN2771.jpg

Next, I bolted the apron brace to the fenders. Had to drill the 2 holes in the fender. Bolted TIGHT

DSCN2772.jpg

Now I mounted the running boards to the tub and to the back bottom of the fender.

Next, I tightened the 2 bottom rear bolts of the fender to the tub.

LASTLY, I put the 4 bolts of the fender into the frame, and tightened all 4 (2 of the bolts were already in to hold the fender up.) I did not have to drill any of these 4 bolts, they all were close enough to get the bolt in.

NOW I took the C clamps off

Finished. Doing this really helped get everything aligned to my satisfaction.

301F5472-2A50-4DF9-80C5-544C3B551C98.png

F1C63CA0-DCD6-488C-B020-EA089DC8AC96.png

9D508821-23FD-4FEA-B040-C6558EDA8CF4.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom