New Member! SoCal 92' LJ78 Prado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

IMG_5027.jpg

I am well overdue for creating an account and getting more involved on the site! I have been reading and learning from the community for the last few years as I searched for and eventually found my ’91 LJ-78 Prado. I originally purchased the truck from @vintage_coc about two years ago where the previous owner did an immense amount of work on the truck to include the VDJ70 front clip swap, the ARB Bumper and Winch, Spotties, Dobinson’s 4in lift, 33in tires with spacer and 5 lug adapters for OEM rims, Boost control and aftermarket radio. Since that time, I have done the following:

-Lowered the truck to a 2in Old Man Emu lift, done away with the spacers and mounted steelies.

-Swapped the Dual-Mass flywheel that was beginning to deteriorate with a Single-Mass along with a total rebuild of the clutch.

-New fluids/ engine mounts

-replaced exhaust

- cleaned up body rust spots aft of the passenger doors / reinforced the bumper with added welds

- rhino rack / polar RTT

I use the truck as a daily driver about half of the typical work week as I work full time, the rest of the time I like to take it out to overland for climbing, surfing and ski trips. The truck has been incredibly reliable and has no current mechanical or overheating issues to note. I have a laundry list of things that I would like to do to the truck the top of the list includes:

-EGR delete / Intercool the engine

-Oil catch can

-Regear the axels to 4.1 from the stock 4.88 (Truck is a pig on the highway, willing to trade torque for the ability to better use the truck for trips on the highway)

-Install aftermarket temp sensors

-Repaint the roof that has continued to fade

-Soundproof the cabin

-Step the 33in wheels down to a less aggressive tread for a more overland friendly tire

-Looking into Solar options for the use of electronics on trips post shutdown

Thanks again for all the wonderful information, hoping I can give back with documentation of a few projects I have planned. I am eager to learn and look forward to comments and critiques on my plan and any added Ideas you guys might have for the truck.

IMG_5071.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

Cheers,

Love it!
I keep looking at mine, then remember all the 76's I drooled over in Australia and think I should do the front end swap.

Could you post some pictures of the engine bay? Must be heaps of room.

cheers

super random… were you ever driving in san diego on university ave near city heights/north park? think i saw you once.

Wow, very nice work, that looks fantastic! Would love to know details of the front end conversion, and also see some pics of the engine bay.

Thanks for sharing.

Hey All,

View attachment 3197097

I am well overdue for creating an account and getting more involved on the site! I have been reading and learning from the community for the last few years as I searched for and eventually found my ’91 LJ-78 Prado. I originally purchased the truck from @vintage_coc about two years ago where the previous owner did an immense amount of work on the truck to include the VDJ70 front clip swap, the ARB Bumper and Winch, Spotties, Dobinson’s 4in lift, 33in tires with spacer and 5 lug adapters for OEM rims, Boost control and aftermarket radio. Since that time, I have done the following:

-Lowered the truck to a 2in Old Man Emu lift, done away with the spacers and mounted steelies.

-Swapped the Dual-Mass flywheel that was beginning to deteriorate with a Single-Mass along with a total rebuild of the clutch.

-New fluids/ engine mounts

-replaced exhaust

- cleaned up body rust spots aft of the passenger doors / reinforced the bumper with added welds

- rhino rack / polar RTT

I use the truck as a daily driver about half of the typical work week as I work full time, the rest of the time I like to take it out to overland for climbing, surfing and ski trips. The truck has been incredibly reliable and has no current mechanical or overheating issues to note. I have a laundry list of things that I would like to do to the truck the top of the list includes:

-EGR delete / Intercool the engine

-Oil catch can

-Regear the axels to 4.1 from the stock 4.88 (Truck is a pig on the highway, willing to trade torque for the ability to better use the truck for trips on the highway)

-Install aftermarket temp sensors

-Repaint the roof that has continued to fade

-Soundproof the cabin

-Step the 33in wheels down to a less aggressive tread for a more overland friendly tire

-Looking into Solar options for the use of electronics on trips post shutdown

Thanks again for all the wonderful information, hoping I can give back with documentation of a few projects I have planned. I am eager to learn and look forward to comments and critiques on my plan and any added Ideas you guys might have for the truck.

View attachment 3197098
View attachment 3197099
View attachment 3197103

Cheers,

Really nice cruiser! Love the photos.

nice rig, and front conversion looks great too! How did you run the intercooler setup? I'm awaiting delivery of my LJ71 and am also trying to figure out solutions for an intercooler without cutting up any of the front bulkhead.

nice rig, and front conversion looks great too! How did you run the intercooler setup? I'm awaiting delivery of my LJ71 and am also trying to figure out solutions for an intercooler without cutting up any of the front bulkhead.
Will have pics of the engine bay soon, still haven't run the intercooler setup yet but looking to do so within the coming months

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom