New member... Hello there VI. Bit of an intro.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Woah..... had to dig deep to dust this thread off.

After 6 months of rest and relaxation the Sixty is back and I actually got around to doing some work to it. Our last outing up Kennedy main she threw an electrical temper tantrum. Pyro went dead, the compressors started working intermittently and the stereo was having power supply issues. The Pyro and compressors are wired to a sub fuse box so I was sure there problem was related. It turned out to be the nice shiny Phoenix Gold 50 amp fuse that supplies the entire sub circuit. Its end caps had come loose and it was arcing out. New fuse and a re torque on the end caps had that licked. I guess buying expensive stuff doesn't always insure reliability.

The stereo constant power was supplied from the brake light circuit via an awful "fuse buddy" stiffed into the factory fuse box.... yuck! I ripped all that out, busted out the solder iron and attacked every dubious connection I could find.

Last but not least I thought I'd attack the all to common "crazy gauges" syndrome that caused me to fill my shorts a time or two. Namely climbing the steep side of the Coq on my way to Whipsaw trying to keep up to 1HD-T's. From time to time the temp would spike out to melt down. Later I started to notice the fuel gauge would peg out at the same time so the problem must be related. Mud to the rescue, there was a DIY on how to clean the contacts..... so while it was all apart I did just that.

POs handywork, always a nice surprise :censor::censor:

...that's what she said....:hillbilly:

Now stop f*&cking around with this candy-ass wiring bs, and build a cool front bumper already! :flipoff2:

Thought I'd tackel a Wilson sw. install since it has to do with more wiring.
Speaking of wiring.... I hate my Autometer pyro. I must have got a lemon. No matter what I do it works intermittently and has periodic Turrets attacks. :bang:

Bumper Shumper..... all my friends have winches. Besides, Ive straightened my orig. OEM bumper so many times the steel is work hardened, it is now stronger and robust(er) :hillbilly:

Speaking of wiring.... I hate my Autometer pyro. I must have got a lemon. No matter what I do it works intermittently and has periodic Turrets attacks. :bang:

Bumper Shumper..... all my friends have winches. Besides, Ive straightened my orig. OEM bumper so many times the steel is work hardened, it is now stronger and robust(er) :hillbilly:

check your grounds for your pyro... if it doesn't have a clean ground it'll freak out.

I am hearing more autometer horror stories as time passes with bad gauges

Yes check the ground

I have a friend who has a autometer trans temp gauge in his done up f150. He thought he fried his trans so he ended up ordering a new trans for 5k. Dummy shoulda investigated his grounds better. The same thing happened with his new trans until a friend investigated.

Gauges appear to be back to normal, I have yet to see the all too familiar, short soiling temp. peg.

Took the old girl out for a chew and all was well. What a great truck, so much character.

IMG_1362.jpg

Gauges appear to be back to normal, I have yet to see the all too familiar, short soiling temp. peg.

Took the old girl out for a chew and all was well. What a great truck, so much character.

nice! - looking good!

ISSPRO the only way to go -

ISSPRO the only way to go -

Agreed. I have them in my pickup and they have been great. Autometer's belong in muscle cars.

Here is a pic of the new improved and simplified glow solenoid. It sure is nice to have the extra speed at 3am when the pager goes off. I'd still like to find some insulators for the exposed ends as the one side is always "hot".

IMG_0968.jpg

Looks like a starter solenoid... Thats my next upgrade... I have a 70A relay right now but I want to go to something bigger as I think it might not be enjoying life... (Its starting to only work sometimes )

PA has a 150 amp continuous duty relay for $25... meant for a snow plow. Would be fitting.:hillbilly:

Oh and it's some aftermarket snow plow brand, NOT powerfist :bang:

Diesel manor.
I had good luck with them, they shipped from isspro headquarters in Oregon

any updates on this cam?

Sixty's parked, enjoying stimulating little pulses on the C-Tek. Too busy with other adventures at the moment. It will see some light family camping use this summer though. Perhaps a summer Camp-out at Seapotato's for a keg emptying..... not that he'll envite me after the Priest joke I just made in another thread. :bang:

Agreed. I have them in my pickup and they have been great. Autometer's belong in muscle cars.

Here is a pic of the new improved and simplified glow solenoid. It sure is nice to have the extra speed at 3am when the pager goes off. I'd still like to find some insulators for the exposed ends as the one side is always "hot".

Did this on a few rigs in the early years than figured the glow was not working so well and hooked up to one of the factory glow plug relays:beer:

Never looked back and hooked them all up like that.

Rob

Sixty's parked, enjoying stimulating little pulses on the C-Tek. Too busy with other adventures at the moment. It will see some light family camping use this summer though. Perhaps a summer Camp-out at Seapotato's for a keg emptying..... not that he'll envite me after the Priest joke I just made in another thread. :bang:

Oh, sure I will.

Just make sure you wear your altar boy outfit, sweetheart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom