New Keys - No Master? (Still confused...) (91 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was able to program the remote portion (FOB) of the key, but the key itself won't start the car.

Here's what worked for me to program the remote control potion of the key:

1. Get into GX470 and make sure all doors are closed and locked.

2. Insert registered master key into ignition to turn off blinking security indicator on dashboard.

3. Remove registered master key from ignition.

4. Unlock and open driver’s door and keep door open.

5. Within 5 seconds – Insert and remove the registered master key from the ignition switch twice.

6. Within 40 seconds – Close and open driver’s door twice

7. Insert and remove the registered master key from the ignition switch

8. Within 40 seconds – Close and open driver’s door twice.

9. Insert the registered master key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door

10. Switch ignition ON and OFF only ONCE to program a key remote transmitter code while retaining the key original codes.

11. Remove registered master key from ignition switch – System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to indicate success or twice to indicate failure. If it fails here, then go back to step 1.

12. Within 40 seconds – Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.

13. Within 3 seconds – Press and release LOCK or UNLOCK button. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm registration, twice to indicate registration has failed. If it fails, then try step 12 again until step 13 verifies success.

14. Within 40 seconds– Repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters

15. NOTE: To exit programming mode you can open driver’s door or insert ignition key. Also, note that a maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.

I was able to program the remote portion (FOB) of the key, but the key itself won't start the car.

Here's what worked for me to program the remote control potion of the key:

1. Get into GX470 and make sure all doors are closed and locked.

2. Insert registered master key into ignition to turn off blinking security indicator on dashboard.

3. Remove registered master key from ignition.

4. Unlock and open driver’s door and keep door open.

5. Within 5 seconds – Insert and remove the registered master key from the ignition switch twice.

6. Within 40 seconds – Close and open driver’s door twice

7. Insert and remove the registered master key from the ignition switch

8. Within 40 seconds – Close and open driver’s door twice.

9. Insert the registered master key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door

10. Switch ignition ON and OFF only ONCE to program a key remote transmitter code while retaining the key original codes.

11. Remove registered master key from ignition switch – System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to indicate success or twice to indicate failure. If it fails here, then go back to step 1.

12. Within 40 seconds – Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.

13. Within 3 seconds – Press and release LOCK or UNLOCK button. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm registration, twice to indicate registration has failed. If it fails, then try step 12 again until step 13 verifies success.

14. Within 40 seconds– Repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters

15. NOTE: To exit programming mode you can open driver’s door or insert ignition key. Also, note that a maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.

They don't provide instructions to program keys to work in the ignition - they want you to buy their overpriced programming device.

This worked for one of my keys, but not the other -- I think my memory may be full, but I don't want to wipe them all out and then risk having no working ignition keys:

Someone else in post #24 provided the instructions on how to program the key, but those instructions didn't work for me.

Those instruction were to insert registered master key 5x, leave registered master key inserted on the 5th try, open/close door 6x, remove registered master key, watch security LED on dashboard go solid, insert new key to be programmed, watch security LED on dashboard blink for 60 to 80 seconds, then security LED turns off and you are done.

It never worked for me. I tried a handful of times and no cigar.

I could not get any self instructions to work for me, the locksmith used a computer to make it happen, this was having the 2 master keys there.

Did you confirm you have a master key (ie the security light stops blinking when you insert it into the ignition)?

Did the security light go solid after closing the door for the 6th time and pulling out the master key?

Yes, I have a master fobless key and when I insert it in ignition, the security blinking light stops flashing.

The security light never goes solid after closing the door for the 6th time and pulling out the registered master key from the ignition.

Last edited:
I had posted this in another thread, but it was the wrong thread.

It turns out I did not have a master key. The guy who programmed my keys to the immobilizer told me I didn't have a master key. I had a fobless valet key.

I asked him how he knew I had a valet key. He showed me that when you insert a valet key into the ignition, the blinking security led on the dashboard goes solid for 2 seconds and then it goes away. The 2 second solid security led on the dashboard was something I didn't quite understand before for detecting a valet key.

After he programmed my keys to the immobilizer, he showed me how the two new master keys (when inserted into ignition) remove the blinking security led on the dashboard immediately. He said that's how you can tell if you have a master (immediate) or a valet (solid security led for 2 seconds).

Maybe this is why I couldn't get any of the instructions to work. I now have 3 registered working keys:

(a) fobless valet key (the original key I had)
(b) new fobless master key (from 1010keys $26)
(c) new Denso fob master key (from 1010keys $41)
(d) $70 to pair all 3 keys back to immobilizer
(e) total $137 and 3 working/registered keys

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I lost my master FOB key this past weekend when my belt loop broke carrying kids.

All I have at this point is the valet key and they key card in the glove compartment. I tested the valet key and as mentioned above the security light stays solid for a moment then goes out. Does anyone happen to know if the key card is going to produce the same result or is this considered a master that I can use to program new keys?

What does the key card look like? Picture?

It is a master key. I tested this morning on my way into work and see the light go out immediately upon placing the chip close to the ignition.

Key_Card.jpg

Just purchased 09 470, 1 master key. Ordered 2 keys from 1010. Programmed them to lock/unlock with their instructions but only turn key in ignition 1x, not 5x. This took several attempts. Then to program key to start the engine used the above 4runner method. Both new keys turn off security light.

I ordered the key and programming kit. The new key works but I can’t get it to exit programming mode per instructions. Also tried to program the fob and now my master fob doesn’t work!

The email reply I got from them was not helpful for exiting the programming mode. Have not heard back on th fob.

I ordered the key and programming kit. The new key works but I can’t get it to exit programming mode per instructions. Also tried to program the fob and now my master fob doesn’t work!

The email reply I got from them was not helpful for exiting the programming mode. Have not heard back on th fob.
I had the exact same problem, I'll look at the instructions in the morning to see if I can remember how I fixed it but I seem to remember just running through the instructions again and again until it worked. Their responses are cryptic at best when you contact them! Good news is, I got both working again so you're not completely screwed.! There is a chance I used some programming instructions off the internet that were slightly different and they worked for me.. ... Speaking of cryptic.... Sorry :doh: I'll update if I have a better recollection.

Got it out of chip programming mode by doing 10 key cycles, not 5 or 6 times as 1010keys "support" suggested. Found it elsewhere on the internet.

Now onto fixing the remote/fob. It seems their instructions on that were bad as well with the suggested keys cycles erasing the remote.

@CO_Hunter This is off clublexus and I believe it's what I used . Notice how it has you turn the ignition on and off different numbers of time for different purposes, I believe that was different than the 1010 instructions. I think the 1010 instructions have you inadvertently "erase all codes"

Driver’s door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
Within 5 seconds:
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switchtwice.
Within 40 seconds:
Close and open driver’s door twice.
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.
Within 40 seconds:
Close and open driver’s door twice.
Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
Switch ignition ON and OFF:
Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes.
Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes.
Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered.
Five times to erase all registered codes.
Remove key from ignition switch.
System should now lock and unlock vehicle once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four
times, slowly, to indicate number of remote transmitters registered.
Within 40 seconds:
Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
Within 3 seconds:
Press and release LOCK or UNLOCK button Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 .
System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once to confirm registration or twice to indicate registration has failed.
Within 40 seconds:
Repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
NOTE: To exit programming mode: Open driver’s door or insert ignition key.
NOTE: A maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.

Ha, yes. That is the one is was reading as well and will try it. Thanks!

Also very similar to what @HomersCanyonero wrote above. It would be nice if they put all the options in their instructions. The differences in step 10 are significant.

Last edited:
@CO_Hunter looks like we replied at the same time

Yup, pretty funny. Kind of like crossing text messages. Thanks again. Out of town at the moment. I am going to have my wife try that with the one key cycle.

This is much easier with Techstream - it'll prompt you what to do every step of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom