New Keys - No Master? (Still confused...) (1,348 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I insert it the security light also turns off immediately which implies from some of the reading I've been doing that it is a FOB'less master.

This is what I have as well. We bought a second GX on Friday and it came with a FOBless key. The security light immediately turns off when inserted just as yours does. I believe we have both have master FOBless keys. 1010Keys sells a FOBless key with a chip that looks exactly like the one I have so I believe they can be made:
"PRE-CUT" DIY PROGRAMABLE TRANSPONDER CHIP KEY for Listed models TP-P 4D | eBay

Be sure to pic the right product from 1010keys. There are multiple listings for what look to be the same product except they all have different requirements from you. The most expensive option, the "I don't have a key code", is what I had to pick since I didn't have the code (you can ask for it from the dealer, but it requires proof of ownership and even then they can be resistant from what I read).
Items in 1010keys store on eBay!

This is what I have as well. We bought a second GX on Friday and it came with a FOBless key. The security light immediately turns off when inserted just as yours does. I believe we have both have master FOBless keys. 1010Keys sells a FOBless key with a chip that looks exactly like the one I have so I believe they can be made:
"PRE-CUT" DIY PROGRAMABLE TRANSPONDER CHIP KEY for Listed models TP-P 4D | eBay

Be sure to pic the right product from 1010keys. There are multiple listings for what look to be the same product except they all have different requirements from you. The most expensive option, the "I don't have a key code", is what I had to pick since I didn't have the code (you can ask for it from the dealer, but it requires proof of ownership and even then they can be resistant from what I read).
Items in 1010keys store on eBay!

That makes me feel better!

As far as key code, my understanding is that is only used for mapping how the physical cut is made, and that they don't actually need it if you get a clear enough pic to them. (I read through quite a few of their listings and at one point they specifically state that they prefer a picture in lieu of a key code in most circumstances.)

From one listing they said: "because too many customers have submitted incorrect key codes it has caused us too much trouble trying to convince buyers of their error. Obtaining photos will assure every key/shell delivered will fit. "

I could be wrong but I read that as key codes aren't necessary as long as you have one cut already to use as an example. Now if you have NO keys (lost them), then I can see having to go through the dealer to get it.

First, got my keys, one fits, the other doesn't, but I can't visually see much of a difference. Need to contact 1010keys to fix it.

Second, I successfully programmed the new key into the immobilzer using 4th gen 4Runner instructions and my master non-fob key (insert master key 5x, open/close door x6), not via the lexus method I found online (gas x5, brake x6). Be sure to leave the master key in the ignition on the 5th insert.

r7xbf.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the same boat- just got a 2001 Cruiser with non-Fob key. Different cut but same electronics. Did a bunch of research but nothing clear about master non-Fob key. According to this Techstream demo video, Techstream is needed to program the immobilizer into any key. You still need to program the wireless remote function (door lock) with the key insert, open door , insert key method-

This paper clip key programming is for 2012 Lexus but he claim it works on 03-06 Lexus also, I assume same year Toyota/Lexus share the same electronic design, but try at your own risk-

Apparently, a high tech locksmith can also program your key with a fancy tool like Techstream as a local lock smith can cut my laser cut key for my Lexus RX300- Programming New Key Lexus- S.A. Locksmith & Security

Bottom line is looks like best is to find a local electronic locksmith who can program electronic key or someone with Techstream, or you can buy a $25 EBay cable and download free Techstream to program the immobilizer to the new key then program the remote and cut the key.

Since I have a BMW GT1 system like the Toyota Techstream, I may try this EBay cable instead- Techstream: Other Diagnostic Service Tools | eBay

A bit confused here Burtoncr did you need the programmer box? 1010keys is trying to sell me one and would prefer not to buy one.

I did not need anything except the master key I got with the truck. It was a fobless master key (ie no remote lock/unlock buttons).

To see if you have a master key sit in your car without the key inserted and observe the security light blinking on the dash. It should be red with a key on it. Then insert the key, no need to turn it. If the security light immediately stops blinking then you have a master key.

Using the master key perform the steps in my post. The video shows it in real time.

I programmed 2 things (immobilizer and fob) in this order without anything except the master key I had:

1) New key to immobilizer using the master key I got with the truck
2) New key fob remote (remote lock/unlock) using just itself (after being programmed to the immobilizer) and the instructions from 1010keys.

Got my second key to work as well. It was slightly too wide because of some ridges on each side of the key blade. Filed them down and the key fit perfectly.

Last edited:
What year are yours? I can't get this process to work on my 2005 and I have a master key.

Mine didn't work the first time, but on my second attempt I was able to register a new key. I have a 2005.

Now I need to figure out how to register the keyless entry - trying to follow 1010's directions...I think I screwed up a step and now my original key doesn't work for keyless entry.

I finally got mine going. Instead of 5 times on the ignition turn, do 1, I followed these instructions and was able to get the keyless entry programmed as well.

Keys please - Club Lexus Forums

Yep, turning once worked for me. Unfortunately, I did 5 before discovering that and it erased my OEM key. It won't add now (I get the double door lock response for failure). One of my 1010 keys won't register in the ignition, either - I'm wondering if I got a defective chip. The other one is fine (and is now my only properly functioning key out of the three I have).

1010keys won't confirm if they'll replace the key if it still doesn't work after I buy their $27 tool (you can buy a Toyota/Lexus key program tool on Amazon for $13).

I'm going in for dash replacement next week so I may see if Lexus can add the last key. If not, I might have to file an eBay claim. At this point I really don't want to give 1010keys any more money, just as a matter of principle.

Got 1 Remote Key, and two remoteless keys from 1010. I was able to program both the keys and the remote with the above instructions on my 2006 GX470 - thanks guys! @JLee like you one of my 1010Keys won't register - not sure whats up. But happy to have 3 functioning keys now.

Got 1 Remote Key, and two remoteless keys from 1010. I was able to program both the keys and the remote with the above instructions on my 2006 GX470 - thanks guys! @JLee like you one of my 1010Keys won't register - not sure whats up. But happy to have 3 functioning keys now.

It won't register in the ignition? Interesting...I wonder if we've reached the programming capacity for that (I think it's 4 keys for keyless entry and 4 keys for ignition/starting). Apparently there is a way to clear them all (7x ignition instead of 5x during the ignition programming process, IIRC) but I am concerned about blowing away all of my keys and then being unable to program anything, and also be stranded.

This post is the bomb! I just ordered one fobless key and 1 fob key from 1010Keys. I'll program both when I get them. I plan to program the fobless one first and then program the fob key second. I'm assuming this doesn't erase my original fobless Lexus key.

First, got my keys, one fits, the other doesn't, but I can't visually see much of a difference. Need to contact 1010keys to fix it.

Second, I successfully programmed the new key into the immobilzer using 4th gen 4Runner instructions and my master non-fob key (insert master key 5x, open/close door x6), not via the lexus method I found online (gas x5, brake x6). Be sure to leave the master key in the ignition on the 5th insert.

r7xbf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom