New guy with '97 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Been lurking for a long time. Joined recently when I purchased the wife a 2004 LC100. I recently bought a 1997 LX450. Bought over internet, was assured lockers work. When I put into 4-lo, I cannot get lockers to engage, the lights just flash on dash. I think I read the ABS light will come on and the center diff light will illuminate automatically in 4-low, but I do not see these lights. Is there anyone local that could help a brother out? Or recommend a decent shop that could check it out without costing an arm and a leg?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Dan

What part of town are you in?

Does it have a center diff lock switch added? It will need to be engaged also if it's installed for the lockers to function properly I believe.

Or your center diff actuator is not engaging properly. Once it locks in electrically activated after shifting into low

What part of town are you in?

Does it have a center diff lock switch added? It will need to be engaged also if it's installed for the lockers to function properly I believe.

Or your center diff actuator is not engaging properly. Once it locks in electrically activated after shifting into low

I do not have the CDL switch added. I live in south KC area. Near Prairie Fire

I do not have the CDL switch added. I live in south KC area. Near Prairie Fire
I'm about a mile from Prairie Fire. Just swing by my house and we'll put our heads together on this.

Worst case scenario (assuming the truck actually has diff locks, which I believe it does if the dash lights are flashing), is the transfer case indicator switch is bad. Some people have had luck cleaning them. Others say you can substitute this for the $67 Toyota switch:
Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 201-1788 Back Up Lamp Switch: Automotive

If you're really cheap, you can try cleaning the contacts like this guy:
CDL Sensor/Switch

I have a spare tcase off a 2005 I bet the sensors are the same of ypu want. To try swapping them. I pretty close to you off 151st just west of the hwy

When I bought mine the sensor on top of the transfer case didn't work. I pulled it and cleaned it up and it has worked fine since. It had the same issue, no ABS light or center diff light would come on.

You can get under there and pull the plug and then run a jumper between the 2 pins on the plug to check that the wiring is good and narrow it down to a bad switch/sensor.

Welcome to the madness.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply guys. Busy weekend. I'll check tags and try jumping the switch. If that doesn't work, I might call on some of you local guys for help! Thanks

Another tip for getting your lockers to engage is to steer left and right (weaving) instead of going in a straight line. I do this when I exercise my lockers and it seems to help cut down on the time it takes them to engage. Of course I do this out on a country road west of where I live.

It also takes a distance quite a bit longer than 20 feet for them to engage. Particularly if they haven't been engaged in a very long time, like since new.

Update: after the non-ice storm, the starter went out. Shopped around, finally ordered one from rock auto. Took about a week to come in, but it was a fairly easy fix, and it's running again. I was able then to try some of the suggestions above and in links provided.

What I did: basically worked the high-low tcase lever multiple times, and behold, the abs and center diff lock lights came on! Sweet.

Took the beast up to a muddy yard, and started with the rear locker only. Took a 30-40 seconds of driving, doing circles, then engaged. Switched it to both lockers and the front engaged almost immediately. I'm stoked. I was really worried I had got a turd.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now, anyone have a tow hitch, or rear bumper with receiver hitch for sale cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom