New FJ62 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Want to thank @Dumpolina for the lead on the local listing. Met with the seller and his wife and extremely nice people, also very honest about the issues with the truck. Ill go over the good and bad

FJ62 - Imgur(1).jpg

Wife wanted to test it out!

Good/Great:
  • Body has very little rust, just a few spots under back window and front rock chips
  • Body has no damage, so little to no bodywork anticipated.
  • Frame, almost no rust, little bit of surface rust on the rear leaf springs.
  • Rides really good
Bad/Needs work:
  • Rear main leaks, have to decide to fix or wait till i swap something else in
  • Auto trans doesnt like to shift well, have to let off the throttle to shift up.
  • Interior upholstery and plastics need help, as expected
    • Seat first, half the foam is gone
  • Shifter needs replacement handle and its very loose
  • One brake light out, one headlight
  • Speedometer doesnt work after last transmission service a year ago or so.
  • Truck has been sitting for a while
Expected:
  • Brakes are ok, feels like my old jeep
  • Steering is loose ish, again feels like my old jeep
Few more pics
FJ62 - Imgur(2).jpg
FJ62 - Imgur(3).jpg
FJ62 - Imgur(6).jpg

• Auto trans doesnt like to shift well, have to let off the throttle to shift up.
As I recall this is a common problem with an easy fix. Adjust the kick-down cable.

• Speedometer doesnt work after last transmission service a year ago or so.
  • Steering is loose ish, again feels like my old jeep

Speedo: could be something simple like the cable was not hooked up at the transfer case.

Steering: Check the rod ends. Have the wife move the steering wheel and see how much play is in the rods.

Nice 62. Long live the mighty 3FE.

Good deal! Glad it worked out

Like the mini trucks can you swap the seat bottoms passenger to driver to get a little more usage?

As I recall this is a common problem with an easy fix. Adjust the kick-down cable.

Speedo: could be something simple like the cable was not hooked up at the transfer case.

Steering: Check the rod ends. Have the wife move the steering wheel and see how much play is in the rods.

Nice 62. Long live the mighty 3FE.
Thanks Pappy, Ill take a look at adjustment of the kick-down. That led me down a "party trick" fix rabbit hole lol, seems like a bold yet effective last fix

Agreed on speedo, when i get a change to get up there ill take a look. Working on an epoxy garage floor project

Will do on the steering!

View attachment 3084706

This looks to be the main culprit, good amount of slip here between the steering arm and the tie rod

You know what? That looks like the same setup as the solid axle mini-trucks. I think those are easily rebuildable. Check the other side of the drag link. I think it takes the same parts.

rod end.jpg

I've got nothing to contribute in this thread except to ask how did BurnToast get that name?

Inquiring minds wanna know 🤔

View attachment 3084706

This looks to be the main culprit, good amount of slip here between the steering arm and the tie rod
IIRC this is the only rod end like that on 60/62. A ghetto fix, again IIRC, is to shim it with a penny.

Upholstery shops can do wonders (with foam) if you want to keep the original seats, though matching the fabric is probably impossible.
Nice find, I hope you got a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom