New 100 Owner - just adding to my stable (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd be interested to hear how it handles the mountain passes towing the KK with your planned configuration.

I'd be interested to hear how it handles the mountain passes towing the KK with your planned configuration.

Looks like you have the same year and tire size, although on 16" rims. I see from your signature you have lockers but no 4.88's. You happy with that call?

I also see you switched to 16" rims. Blair was talking about that. I was wondering if you air down an 18" tire to 20 pounds and a 16" tire to 20 lb's,if the 18" tire would still be taller due to less sidewall. Did you look into that?

Looks like you have the same year and tire size, although on 16" rims. I see from your signature you have lockers but no 4.88's. You happy with that call?

I also see you switched to 16" rims. Blair was talking about that. I was wondering if you air down an 18" tire to 20 pounds and a 16" tire to 20 lb's,if the 18" tire would still be taller due to less sidewall. Did you look into that?

I've been happy sticking with the stock gears. I was really torn on what to do...enough that it delayed my locker install for a long time. I bugged Robbie a lot about it on the Elephant Hill run at CM10 and did a lot of talking and e-mails with Christo about it in the time leading up to the locker install. In the end I decided against it. So far it has been running fine and I have had no regrets. The worst I have had to do going up some of the passes has been downshifting to 4th.

I did not compare the different aired-down tire heights...sorry.

I've been happy sticking with the stock gears. I was really torn on what to do...enough that it delayed my locker install for a long time. I bugged Robbie a lot about it on the Elephant Hill run at CM10 and did a lot of talking and e-mails with Christo about it in the time leading up to the locker install. In the end I decided against it. So far it has been running fine and I have had no regrets. The worst I have had to do going up some of the passes has been downshifting to 4th.

I did not compare the different aired-down tire heights...sorry.

Thanks for that opinion. Maybe I should wait till I get all my stuff installed and pull my camper up to Eisenhower tunnel.

Today I installed the VAIS IPOD Adapter. Seems to work fine and it has had no issues playing my play list.

The CD/DVD changer works fine. Took me a while to figure out you had to engage the parking brake to watch videos on the front screen. That in itself is enough reason for me to keep the DVD/CD changer.

To install the VAIS Ipod adapter, I had to remove the VAIS XM radio setup. I am selling it here if anyone is interested

https://forum.ih8mud.com/mud-bay-mi...vais-sl2xd2-xm-radio-adapter.html#post6825010

I also installed my HAM Radio

I installed a 12M WARN winch today and it was pretty easy by myself with the bumper installed. Used a floor jack and worked it up and into place and synched it with a couple of bolts. I'll post up some pics when I get m,y rear numper in a couple of weeks

This thread needs to be a sticky.

What is the mileage on your 100? Which websites did you search and which one did you find it on? Great write-up!

Thanks!

This thread needs to be a sticky.

What is the mileage on your 100? Which websites did you search and which one did you find it on? Great write-up!

Thanks!

Hi garth

I researched this one. Lots of information. I compiled it in this post because it took me a long time searching to find the info.

My truck has 125K miles. I posted a thread that I was loooking for a 100 and someone who wasnt selling found it

Romer, FWIW I switched from 18" rims back to 16" rims under the presumption that the rim would be 1" further away from potential damage. Also slightly more absorption of pokey things, and sidewalls that would stick out a little further to protect the rims. Also cheaper tires. and the 80 is also 16". :meh:

Curious question... I remember the 80 series alloy wheels could hit a curb @ something like 40mph and not dent, and you could not hardly find a stronger alloy.

What's the spec on the 100 alloy OEM wheels and steelies?

Curious question... I remember the 80 series alloy wheels could hit a curb @ something like 40mph and not dent, and you could not hardly find a stronger alloy.

What's the spec on the 100 alloy OEM wheels and steelies?

I would think it would be similar, though I have no numbers to verify that. The thing about the OEM 100 Series alloys is that they are all forged alloy, not cast, so they are super strong and light. 80 wheels are the same way. Going aftermarket in most cases is really a downgrade performance-wise, IMHO.

Welcome Ken, to the dark side! The 100s are great, but they sure are whales!

Hello Romer....
Just curious - What HAM rig did you install -
and where did you hard mount it...
nice write up..... Thanks..........

Hello Romer....
Just curious - What HAM rig did you install -
and where did you hard mount it...
nice write up..... Thanks..........

Yaseau 7800. I put the main unit in the back passenger side in the long cubby using velcro. I took the cubby lid off so it wouldn't overheat

I put the faceplate below the cig lighters/above the shifter.

I'll do pictures in a few days when I get back to town

Yeah, but he's coming from an 80, which is about the same weight. IMO, the V8 makes it feel "lighter" than the 80.

Actually stock curb weight on the 100 (of Romer's vintage) is about 500 pounds heavier than the heaviest 80 variant. That's significant. It is also taller, longer, and wider.

But yeah, the V8 power is nice.

UPDATE

Most of you know me as an 80 guy. I love the way my 80 was set up and I wanted my 100 similar
Several things I decided not to do at first that I had on my 80

No Aux fuel tank. The 100 gets better MPG then the 80, therefore better range. The extra tank was nice, but I never really NEEDED it. On the highway, I would want to stop for a "break" before my first tank ran out. It is a nice to have though. The aux tank I had provided 13 extra gallons. The extended range of the 100 is like 6.5 extra gallons on my 80. This may be in my future, but it's a nice to have.

My hardest decision was the 35" tires 4.88 gears setup. Since I have the full Slee skid plate, that would provide less than an inch extra clearance. I can't think of a trail I have been on that would have made a huge difference. Besides, this is a daily driver and I love the way it handles now. I decided to stick with the new 33's NT Grapplers it came with and stock gears. Who knows, after wheeling for several years, I may change my mind. Remember, this is coming from a gut who had 4.88 gears and 35" tires for 4-5 years. IOt was nice, but not required for most of the places I go. Both daughters have 33" tires and have always been able to follow me where ever I go.

The truck came with the OME Low 2" lift, diff drop Slee Tube Sliders and 275/76/18 Nitto Grappler AT's, which are 33/2" tall

I laid out the list of what I wanted to do

· Install Yaseau 7800 -Done
· Install Cobra 75 CB - Done
· ARB Front Bumper - Done
· Warn 12K Winch - Done
· Slee Rear Bumper and tire rack (have no need for the ladder) - Done
· ARB Storage Drawers - Done
· Slee 3 piece skid plate setup - Done
· IBS Dual Battery system - Done
· Blue Sea Aux Fuse Box - Done
· Two Sears Die Hard Platinums - Done
· ARB Front and rear lockers - Done
· ARB Snorkel - On order
· Powertank 10lb setup (can use ARB Compressor for BU- too slow for primary)- Done
· VAIS IPOD Adapter - Done
· 863 Rear springs/ adjust front to match - Done
· DT headers- Shipping as I type this
· Modify Front nav unit to play video or make calls when driving (love the 1 touch calling) - Done
· Add additional always on power for fridge - Done
· Also made one of the two front dash outlets always on - Done

As you can see from my list, Christo Slee has been very happy to see me lately

I still need to put the hold downs for the ARB Fridge I have and mount the Power tank. In addition to the snorkel and DT headers

Then I think I'm set . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . for a little while in any case :D
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg

Last edited:
Drawers. I will also put the fridge and power tank back here. The right drawer top is a slide

I put the control box for the CB under the center console along with the VAIS Ipod Control. Here is where the Mike cord comes out

Also a shot of the center console shoing my HAM and Dual battery controller
006.jpg
007.jpg
Dual Battery 012.jpg

I like the way Christo Slee uses the 80 locker switch to control the ARB's. I had a DAC switch that I had them use to run the compressor. DAC now stands for "da... compressor" :D

I also put adhesive tape strips on the tube sliders. Had to trim them down so when the wife slid out she didn't rub the back of her leg against it.

and of course a proud meber of the TLCA
009.jpg
008.jpg
012.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom