Need to add dome light to cargo area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hoping to pick everyone's collective brains here. I was out surfing last night and came back in after dark. It's such a pain in the ass that the dome light in my LX is right above the 2nd row seats. Overtime I have to crawl in a wet disgusting wetsuit over all my gear to turn it on.

I'd like to install an additional light within reach in the cargo area. I am installing a 2nd battery and will have a aux fuse box in the PS trim panel. Seems pretty straightforward but how do you snake the wires behind the headliner? What would the new light screw into?

Anybody do this before? Pictures?

I have been researching this. It's been done many different ways by countless people. Search for "rear cargo light" & "rear dome light".

I have been researching this. It's been done many different ways by countless people. Search for "rear cargo light" & "rear dome light".
Thanks I did try searching before asking. For whatever reason wasn't having any luck

There should be a few threads on here about adding the same light which is over the 2nd row to the rear...I did this a number of years ago, with the light triggered with the 2nd row. Also installed a set of door lights to the hatch. Happy to show you in person as we are in the same county.

full

The LX has the hard shell headliner, correct? It should be pretty easy to fish two wires from the dome light forward (above the second row). Just remove the second row light and fish the wires back.

It's harder with the cloth headliner.

The LX has the hard shell headliner, correct? It should be pretty easy to fish two wires from the dome light forward (above the second row). Just remove the second row light and fish the wires back.

It's harder with the cloth headliner.

Cool, Thanks @LS1FJ40. This may be obvious to almost everyone but this is the first car I have every worked on. Does the light just end up screwing into the headliner?

id say putting the light on the hatch is best vs. in the cargo area.

Rear cargo light install, ERG80 style

Just to clarify,
93-94- cloth delicate headliner, cargo dome factory harness is likely already wound up in the D pillar
95-97- hard headliner, tap power off of second row dome
IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

Cool, Thanks @LS1FJ40. This may be obvious to almost everyone but this is the first car I have every worked on. Does the light just end up screwing into the headliner?

Wasn't trying to sound condescending. Follow that link and it should tell you everything you need to know.

I agree that the light on the lift gate gives you more light. I'm still debating if I want to do that. I like the idea of it but don't like that it isn't "factory".

Wasn't trying to sound condescending. Follow that link and it should tell you everything you need to know.

I agree that the light on the lift gate gives you more light. I'm still debating if I want to do that. I like the idea of it but don't like that it isn't "factory".
@LS1FJ40 No worries, thanks for the help! I think i'll try the lift gate, My truck is already monstalined so I've already ruined my factory look lol

IMG_2863.JPG

Very cool! Where is everyone sourcing those storage trays?
:lol:
That's one I built for my FJ55. It just happens to fit in my 80. Everything else is over my pay grade.

Just upgrading the interior lights to LED's gave me more than enough light inside the cargo area. :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom