Need some good counsel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning Braintrust. I have a dilemma. This is my truck. I have had it for 2 years, haven’t driven it a ton as I had some brake issues and eventually a bad head gasket. Will be looking for a new caretaker soon...1964 FJ45

Well, got a call today and the head is cracked in all cylinders.

My plan was to finish it as a stock build, except with power steering (done), floor shift(done), and disc brakes (not done but parts already purchased), and then sell it and buy something more family-friendly (Troopie or FJ43).

Now that the head is toast, and I am having trouble sourcing a good head (and even if I could, I would probably still be in this position) I am at a crossroads.

1. Bite the bullet and hold out for a stock head, spend the coin to finish rebuilding the engine, and sell the truck as a stock running truck in great shape. Take that money and roll into a bigger LC.
2. Sell the truck as is, and the new owner can either finish the engine, providing that he/she can find a head, or wants to swap in a 2F/SBC/4BT. Take that money and roll into a bigger LC.
3. Sell the cab/bed/seats etc. Buy a body (aqualu or something similar) in the style that I want, and build (with help) my dream FJ.

Am I missing another option? I hate to take a rare old truck off the road, but maybe there’s someone out there looking for a cab or bed.

Thanks for your time. I realize that there are plenty worse problems in the world that people are dealing with, but you guys are the experts re: my current dilemma.

Also: would it be tacky to cross post this in the FJ40 forum? Thanks

If that’s the 020 casting, then yes.

If Rob is traveling, try MarksOffroad in LA

If you have an impending deadline, like an important vacation kdestination, that certainly helps to light a fire under the project

Well, as a purist, get a new head and bring it back stock.

headf.PNG

May have found a local head here in the LA area with Mark. Hopefully this pans out...

Not local but on Mud

I vote for #1.

But I am jealous that you have the rear slider windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom