Need opinions on rust!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve come across a good deal on a 100 series, but it’s got some frame and slight body rust (pics attached). I’m new to the rust game and would like your opinion if it’s worth tackling the repair or not. Thank you in advance!

4D6AB772-DD95-416C-9ABC-4D4067A5FA0A.jpeg

0B2C6FD7-A3A7-4E3F-A370-02FC7F037A0D.jpeg

23CE3E67-B47C-4DDB-BC3C-02786B6A6A1D.jpeg

CD0A04ED-41CE-463D-BF44-4026BDF99E52.jpeg

F5F819D9-057F-4D11-9739-210C70BD6158.jpeg

They spray painted some of the more visible parts black so it has the appearance of being more rust free from a distance and to the unaware. Look at the bolt holding the rear lower control arm, it’s black. No oem bolt is painted black. Looks like they sprayed that and the entire bracket as well. I bet alot more parts were done in similar fashion, right over the flaky rust. I wouldn’t trust that.

Coming from someone who bought a slightly rusted lx from the north, i would skip this one.

Keep in mind, 170k mileage and a pristine interior. Thanks for your input so far!

B5A99DC6-97FD-4F00-8BCC-A7F76BEB14C0.jpeg

51E4ED94-F363-4D88-B5AF-A966D1B54C5D.jpeg

5F1A3A64-39B6-4BF2-8DF5-BF1960666873.jpeg

Nope.

It's eating the body. That tells me it's done a number on the frame and has spread up. You're in NC, there's no reason to settle for a truck with rust problems.

Now, if you're just going to beat on it and it's dirt cheap, then sure, go nuts. If you intend to keep it as your actual car, not just a toy, then I'd suggest a hard pass.

Thanks Mongoose. I figured with the 6k price tag it wasn’t a bad deal to jump on. It would be a daily that I would off-road occasionally, but it sounds like it’ll need more work than I’m able to commit to.

FWIW, I bought an '00 LC with 240k from Virginia Beach (my hometown) for $6k. It did need timing belt and some aesthetic stuff, but the frame was immaculate. This was just last summer. They're out there.

Wow ok, that’s good to know. I was in California for a while and these things were pretty expensive. I’ll keep looking, thanks again folks!

Every time you post a new rust bucket, I'm thankful for the one I got, I cannot imagine working under that, nothing worse than breaking bolts and have to drill out, re-tap while on your back under the truck

As MongooseGa said, the rot that has started eating the body will cause issues.

I myself don't like rust and really wasn't used to dealing with a lot of it living in Oklahoma.

Purchased an LX in August that had some rust concerns on the under carriage. Bought in Oklahoma but the vehicle lived in Illinois for several years. No frame rot and no body damage, i.e. bubbling anywhere. One thing I noticed was that all of the weep holes had an oily residue around them, meaning someone actually correctly applied some sort of rust preventative on the inside of the body panels. My only concern at that point was the undercarriage and surface rust therein. I could tell that the rust I had to deal with wasn't a deal breaker for me and I knew I didn't have internal rot taking place. Point is, you can tell if someone was trying to care for the vehicle in order to keep the rust at bay. If the correct preventative measures are taken and surface rust is your biggest enemy, join the club. These vehicles are prone to it. If you're willing to put in the time and effort, you can work out the surface rust problems.

IF you purchase a vehicle with surface rust and decide to take care of it, my advice is to brush it off and spray a rust inhibitor on it. Either leave the rust inhibitor or go over the inhibitor with a paint. DO NOT use a rubber coating if you're not sure you have all of the residue "active" rust off. Last thing you want it to trap it and cover it while it continues to eat away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom