need ID help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
Threads
is there a way to tell if it's a 78 or 79 easily? front bench has head rests, retractable seat belts in the front. big button on the steering wheel, almost like a 1981 + 40 series. I don't know where to look for the Vin tag, there is no sign of one on the door pillar on the driver door. the only tag in the engine compartment that I saw was the motor ID. talked to a neighbor he said the owner might just give it away. the really odd thing is it has a 2F with a 3 speed column shift tranny and vacumn shift transfer????
55 1.jpg
55 2.jpg

Paul, maybe it's a Central American truck? There's no VIN tag on many of them either. The only serial number on my '67 FJ45LV is on the frame horn. There are NO holes indicating that there may have been a VIN tag anywhere else.
Does it have disc brakes? Lot's of Central America didn't have disc brakes, even at that time!

yes it has disc front axle, the 3 speed really threw me off when I saw that. actually 3 of the door panels are in good shape, I hope to get ahold of the owner this week and find out if I can get anything off it.

DOH, I can check the block and see if it's drilled and tapped for power steering, maybe also check the knuckle bolt pattern.

the 3 speed really threw me off when I saw that.

I've seen 3 speeds on '79 and '80 FJ45 pickups at auction down here! The diesels got the H41 though! I have yet to see a diesel 3 speed. The vacuum transfer is a little odd for down here. Even my FJ45LV has a direct floor shift for the transfer, not the dash mount lever.

here's a pic of the trans, the hump had no holes in it, but it did have the outline of the holes on it.
55-T.jpg

Paul my guess would be to check on the PS; is it here?, if not is the block taped for it and am with Charles; many of the trucks overseas had column shifters even into the early 80s; what does the body look like to you?.....restorable or a parts vehicle? am needing rear bumper corners;

Lou

Paul my guess would be to check on the PS; is it here?, if not is the block taped for it and am with Charles; many of the trucks overseas had column shifters even into the early 80s; what does the body look like to you?.....restorable or a parts vehicle? am needing rear bumper corners;

Lou

after talking with the owner, something happened to the 4 speed, so they swapped it out and put in a 3 speed, steering column and all for the shifter. kinda going backwards, I think. never finished hooking it all up.

Ends up it's a 1978. body is trashed, lots of damage and/or rust. mostly parts, will be selling some of it, keeping the rest.

Paul

Paul, are the floorboards any good ? if they are........... am hurting for some:D

Lou

We need to ID those door rear-view mirrors...they look rectangular instead of round. Are those South American spec?

Paul, are the floorboards any good ? if they are........... am hurting for some:D

Lou

Lou, some rust, not bad, will know more when I get it home and apart. I'll keep you in mind.
Paul

We need to ID those door rear-view mirrors...they look rectangular instead of round. Are those South American spec?

Yes the driver door mirror is rectangular. pass side is round. Maybe some PO broke the round one and made due with a rectangular one??? I can get a better idea next weekend.

I for one, am glad to see those rear wheels properly chocked...oh the humanity indeed if that thing were to get loose on those 4 flat tires and roll unabated into god knows what receptor ? The horror. If you pick it up ... I call first dibs on that rear wingie thingie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom