Need help replacing the headlight harness in my FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey out there,
I'm brand new to the forum, new owner of a stock 62 and new at restoring anything. The Fj62 was owned by my dad originally and then left in a dirt field and forgotten by us kids for 12 years to age gracefully and die. Haha, she didn't keel over! I picked her up, towed her home and had some minor engine work done and she started up like a champ. What a great truck.

Well, now begins my project of restoring and replacing to make better. I'm starting with the headlights(very weak at night) and then the dash lights replacement. I've purchased a new light harness and headlights from Dan Sterling but I am such a novice at everything I can't figure out how to connect it all. The connections to the battery terminals and headlights themselves are easy enough but there is another grey wire with a male adapter attached. I've tried contacting Dan to no avail for guidance. So, I'm looking for any videos or pics you might have.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Jeff B.

...I am such a novice at everything I can't figure out how to connect it all.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Jeff B.

I just did the headlight upgrade on my 62. Great results - totally worth it. I made my own harness and fuse/relay block. Make sure you also get some e-code lamps and housings to take full advantage of the rewire, and remember that they will connect differently than the stock sealed beams.

As EasternYeti said, pictures are key. At our rigs' age, it's not safe to assume that what anyone did on theirs is exactly what you need to do on yours. It's important that you understand the logic behind the electrical circuit and not necessarily expect "connect A to B" instructions to work. If you're a noob, you WILL blow a fuse or two in the process. It's important to understand what's a safe fail and what isn't. Years ago in a much dumber life I set my FJ40 on fire when I tried to install 100W off road lamps. Upgrading the headlight harness poses the same risk if you miswire it. I'm not trying to scare you off, I'm just saying this is worth doing right. Make sure you have the correct tools, time, and info.

Start by visually walking us through your situation.

If you under stand the basics of DC you can wire this up quite easily. Just a few simple rules to follow. I recommend taking a quick class on electricity, it will go a long way if you plan to do most of the work your self in the future.

Thanks for all help guys. I've been pretty busy at work and haven't had a chance to touch my '62. I will upload some pics shortly. I have also purchased the new headlights to take advantage of the harness upgrade. Will upload pics tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Here's the harness and the grey male adapter(I don't know where to attach it to).

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know who built your harness or how it's configured, but mine has a male tail like that and it plugs into the driver side low beam female receptacle (that's assuming you have a H4 lamp, not a 4656 sealed beam). I assume the twin female receptacles on the long wire are for the passenger side and the remaining female is for the driver hi beam, but again that's a guess without the benefit of a wiring diagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom