Need Advise on Clutch Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While in the process of getting the transmission out to replace a slipping clutch I got stuck the
WP_20170318_001.jpg
stage:

I have it on axle stands, the idea is to lower to the ground. It came back about 1 inch but now seems to be stuck.
What's the trick? Should I split the bell housing form the transmission? Or is is something else?
This is the type with the PTO, so maybe that has to some of first? Or tilt the engine backwards?
This my first time dealing with such a heavy transmission, I am used to much lighter stuff. (Also first time posting.... )
Any advise much appreciated.

Is there a dust shield on the front of the bell housing that is hitting the flywheel. I think most people do separate the transmission from the bell housing when pulling the transmission. Once the input shaft clears the pilot bearing/bushing you can angle down the tail end to gain additional clearance to get it out the rest of the way.

It should just come apart, make sure you're not hitting the rear crossmember with the transfer case and that absolutely EVERYTHING is disconnected. Triple check that.

Thanks Byron, I'll try splitting it and take it out in two pieces.
Do you know how much travel it approx. needs to clear the pilot bearing?

hi Rock40, now you got me doubting, since I have some space left until I hit the cross member.
I took of the hydraulic cil., both parking brake and speedo cables. Also the electric wiring (reverse switch?). Starter motor is off. Cross support All bolts. What else is is left?
No choice but to go back under and triple check :)

Update on the clutch:

Taking off the PTO and spitting it from the bell housing did the trick, it's out.
WP_20170320_004.jpg

With the PTO off I had enough room to pull it out.
WP_20170320_013.jpg

Also I think I found the problem with the slipping clutch. Too much oil :)
WP_20170320_006.jpg

Any idea what I found in the bell housing?
WP_20170320_010.jpg

Locating dowel pin for the transmission, should be two in the bell housing.

plan on rebuilding that transmission..

Hi Mace, I hoped I could get away with putting in new seals, but I am afraid you're right. Maybe I'll go for a 5 speed. Does that take the same clutch? I bought the replacement plates and clutch assembly already.

yep, 5 speed uses the same clutch..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom