Nav to Non-Nav Conversion Walkthrough (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have experience upgrading the speakers after conversion? Anything to consider?

Last edited:
How do I know if I need a 771 or a 773 climate control? My GX is a 2006 built 10/05, which is after the date range listed for the 771 but before the 773.

Is there a reason that 4runner climate controls cannot be adapted for use? I was looking at the parts later 4th gens with dual zone climate controls. It looks like the ac amplifier box is a separate module like the GX's with nav. However, there is a single plug in the back of the controls and a matching plug on the amplifier.

I was unable to find the information from searching the internet so if it has been asked before, please point me toward to.

Where did you buy it and how much did you pay? Thanks!

Took me a ton of hours of being glued to the phone and finally snagging one. And I paid too much.

There is a chance I may have a second one coming as well but I won't know for sure until it gets here.

Took me a ton of hours of being glued to the phone and finally snagging one. And I paid too much.

There is a chance I may have a second one coming as well but I won't know for sure until it gets here.
I've got a 2009 GX 470 with nav and Mark Levinson audio. I bought a Grom Vline2 on a group buy for about $550 approximately 2.5 years ago. It installed easily and once I figured out the proper software settings including external microphone adjustment, it worked fairly well although the microphone never was the best. The internal and external microphones caused feedback and distortion, a very common problem. Then I decided I wanted a headunit with a new screen and better microphone. I bought a Ekiy headunit from AliExpress for $190 which installed fairly easily and climate controls functioned well but audio would cut out for 10sec every 4-5 minutes. This was very frustrating and Ekiy customer service was not able to help. I believe that it was a canbus issue from the factory. Finally I bought a Teyes CC3 2k for approximately $350. This has worked very well and without any bugs. Teyes provides a software switch that turns off the internal microphone so there is no feedback. There is also a floating snowflake icon that allows you to adjust temp on the climate controls which all works well. This has been my experience trying to get a good headunit for my GX but I still think about going the nonnav conversion route 👍👍

I paid around $400, took me years to find, setup an eBay notification for part number and cross your fingers. Car-part.com occasionally has them too. Then another $500+ for cable harness from Eldar and a Joying head unit. Worth every penny, no issues, looks great, CarPlay! Best mod I’ve done and I’ve done way too much on my gx…

I've got a 2009 GX 470 with nav and Mark Levinson audio. I bought a Grom Vline2 on a group buy for about $550 approximately 2.5 years ago. It installed easily and once I figured out the proper software settings including external microphone adjustment, it worked fairly well although the microphone never was the best. The internal and external microphones caused feedback and distortion, a very common problem. Then I decided I wanted a headunit with a new screen and better microphone. I bought a Ekiy headunit from AliExpress for $190 which installed fairly easily and climate controls functioned well but audio would cut out for 10sec every 4-5 minutes. This was very frustrating and Ekiy customer service was not able to help. I believe that it was a canbus issue from the factory. Finally I bought a Teyes CC3 2k for approximately $350. This has worked very well and without any bugs. Teyes provides a software switch that turns off the internal microphone so there is no feedback. There is also a floating snowflake icon that allows you to adjust temp on the climate controls which all works well. This has been my experience trying to get a good headunit for my GX but I still think about going the nonnav conversion route 👍👍
I should also add that the Grom Vline2 uses factory Bluetooth for phone calls and the Grom for music and Car Play / Android Auto. I believe that there is an add on that can be purchased so that Android Auto calls also go over the Grom Bluetooth rather switching. This was a big part of the deal breaker on the Grom for me.

He usually always replies. He's just very slow.
Umm it was Dec 7th when he last replied with he was sending me the preview video!! I have msg several times after that. But, I’m still waiting . I hope all is well with him he’s been really good to the GX community.

Umm it was Dec 7th when he last replied with he was sending me the preview video!! I have msg several times after that. But, I’m still waiting . I hope all is well with him he’s been really good to the GX community.
I spoke to him earlier this week. And been waiting on a response since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom