Mystery Electronic Unit ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bambusiero

SILVER Star
Threads
Found this mystery electronic unit under the passenger seat - tucked in very solidly right next to the 2nd row floor heater - '97 LX450 - Anyone know what it does? Probably hasn't seen daylight since 1997.
It has an RF connector.

Mystery_ElectronicUnit.JPG

Found this mystery electronic unit under the passenger seat - tucked in very solidly right next to the 2nd row floor heater - '97 LX450 - Anyone know what it does?
It has an RF connector.

View attachment 2878730

its a Ignition Interlock device for Alcoholics on driving Probation to and from works etc ........

or a blow and go ......

its a federal offense to have one dis connected like that all hidden out of view .....

id be careful with all that jazz .................?

Hard to see in the photo but can the OP post up photos of any serial numbers or labels on the unit?

Last edited:
It sort of looks like a CB radio, which would make sense with an RF connector. But it could be an ignition interlock for all I know :meh:. Can you pull it out and take a better picture?

Found this mystery electronic unit under the passenger seat - tucked in very solidly right next to the 2nd row floor heater - '97 LX450 - Anyone know what it does? Probably hasn't seen daylight since 1997.
It has an RF connector.

View attachment 2878730
also what do you know about the history of the vehicle?
Some used car lots will put GPS trackers on vehicles in the event the buyer does not pay up.

Sure it's not part of the built-in phone system so many had installed?

Mine had a bunch of crap under the dash, including a speaker and microphone that I ripped out when I did the RS3000 extraction.

I'm going with old analog cellphone or vehicle tracker. BNC and an old centronics type connector. Cooling fins on casing indicate it probably uses a fair amount of juice.

I'm going with old analog cellphone or vehicle tracker. BNC and an old centronics type connector. Cooling fins on casing indicate it probably uses a fair amount of juice.
That's a standard D25, not Centronics.

its a Ignition Interlock device for Alcoholics on driving Probation to and from works etc ........

or a blow and go ......

its a federal offense to have one dis connected like that all hidden out of view .....

id be careful with all that jazz .................?
If he's not the guy with the DUI sentence and he owns the truck, how is it a provable federal offense for a new/unrelated owner to remove it? He's not violating any sort of conditions of HIS sentencing. By this logic, it's illegal to remove the crap RS3000, ancient analog cellphones, or Sparkomatic car stereos installed in the Autozone parking lot.

The unit is fastened in quite rigidly - doesn't even wiggle, and no fasteners visible - with the seat mounts unbolted and just rocked forward enough to lift the carpet edge (for the body mount bushing job- bolt access).
Would take a seat removal and peal the carpet back - to excavate further - Too much work - couldn't get a good view of the labels.
yeah - I also think the connectors are D25 and BNC.
As far as the vehicle history - lexus LX450 - Bought new in Texas in 1997 - Went through at least one "Certified Used" Lexus sale - I am the 4th owner(I think) - bought used locally (Arizona) in 2004. No info at all about dealer installed stuff.

Could it be Lojack? No idea what those look like.
At some point - I MIGHT be motivated enough to simply cut wires and remove the thing - Absolutely certain it's of no use to me - after 18 years...

Last edited:
Where do the wires go?
Have you tracked them?

I used to be a LoJack certified installer back around 2008 or so. It sucked and paid 💩 anyway, it doesn't look much like a LoJack from they era to me. The modules were about the side of a Nokia brick cell phone with 3 wires coming out. Power, ground and antenna that had to be wrapped in a sheath. Not a screw in antenna.

Also, from the DUI blower theorists, those installers are lazy, flat rate and don't give a crap about your car. They are not going to install it under the passenger side of the car, they are not going to remove the seat and carpet to do so. They slap those things under the dash and off of the ignition switch.

wires seem to go forward under the carpet - I suppose to above the footwell - but unknown.

At some point - I MIGHT be motivated enough to simply cut wires and remove the thing - Absolutely certain it's of no use to me - after 18 years...
Trace the wires and remove it properly, don't just cut them. I found three separate live positive voltage sources around my truck from wires that had simply been snipped by the PO. Disaster waiting to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom